non-consistent behavior?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherie18

Hey guys, so I have been watching Cherie really closely & she seems to be doing well, but she sleeps more than when I first got her & even though she may be awake at night between 12:00 & 6:00 I'm usually asleep & can't tell how active she really is...during playtime she will popcorn abit, but then she will stop & sit somewhere for a really long time, the other night she acted like she was gonna go to sleep during playtime...is this normal? are chinchillas usually more awake more than she is?

I have been trying really hard to bond with her, am I stressing her out? I only hold her 1 to 2 times a day & even then not for more than a couple of minutes..does anyone know if I should be worried?

Poos are normal,
I hear her drinking alot, but I only have to replace her food & water 1 time or twice a week-is that normal?:hmm:
She eats mostly hay...
& I have her on Mazuri pellets

The older the get, the more mellow they become...typically. How long have you had her?

If she's pooping and peeing normally, chances are she's fine. You said she's sleeping more...there's a difference between that and being lethargic. When you open her cage and things, does it stir her if she's been sleeping?

The only other thing that sounds a bit strange is that you replace her food once a week. I would recommend not giving her so much and giving her fresh pellets and hay daily.

One of my girls sleeps alot. She'll play for a while then go crash out in her tube. She's up and down sleeping one minute and then wide awake the next, so I think its nornal (for her anyway).

I agree with Laura, as long as shes eating, drinking, pooping, and peeing normally I wouldn't be that worried. Leo's done the same thing, he's slowed down a little bit in the couple of month's I've had him.

I was worried for a bit, but then I was up a couple of nights really late and saw him eating a lot and drinking and being active...just it was 3am when I was normally sleeping.

Ok good so it sounds like shes just getting comfortable with her surroundings..& with the food thank you I was wondering if I was giving her to much!!

I have a similar thing! I let my boy out in my room and I will sometimes go out and check something and come back in. sometimes when I come back in he freezes and then makes a MAD DASH from wherever he is back into the top corner of his cage. I think he feels most safe there, he lets me pet him all day long if hes in his spot but is much more nervous if im coming and going a lot while he plays. Some nights he just sits in his cage for an hour or more even if the door is open, refusing to play.

Back