Non-breeding m/f pair?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iheartchins

Hi, Ive had a pair of chins for 7 weeks now (boy and girl). Since getting them Ive given them lots of space and time to adjust. I was told they are a "non-breeding pair". Now that they are getting comfortable and trusting me, Im concerned that I should think about seperating them. Honestly I wouldnt of considered it before because I felt like they needed eachother to settle in to their new (and final) home. Theyve been through a lot, the female was kind of a hot mess when she came here but shes a different chin already😊
So I was hoping for some advice, is there really such thing as a non breeding pair? If they never made babies before but now are beginning to feel safe is there a chance that they will start breeding? :hmm:
Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advise!

If you have an intact male and an intact female there is ALWAYS the chance that they will breed. I have taken nonbreeders from ranches, brought them here, paired them up, and within six months I've got kits. The only way to guarantee that a chin is a nonbreeder is if it is neutered.

I agree with tunes. There is always a chance they could have kits. I would separate them or get the male neutered. I have bought 'non-breeder' chins and got kits out of them. Some times a new home is the excuse they need to breed.

I agree with the above stated, there's no such thing as a non-breeder unless the animal's been neutered.

Sometimes a simple change in environment is enough "stress" to trigger ovulation and reproduction...

Don't risk it, separate and if you really want them to be with each other in the future, fix the male.

I agree with the above stated, there's no such thing as a non-breeder unless the animal's been neutered.

While i fully understand and support the point, i did once have a female dog that was neutered, and a few years later she had pups' :hmm:

Godofgods - Then she could not possibly have been neutered. There is no way for a female to carry puppies, babies, kits, kittens, whatever without a uterus. I had a vet tell me a dog was fixed and she gave me nine pups. If you don't have proof of the surgery that was done to neuter her, then she wasn't neutered.

I could be wrong...but I BELIEVE some used to just clip the fallopian tubes which proved to be less than entirely successful as sometimes they grew back together? Don't quote me on that, it's been a while...

I purchased a non-breeder and retired breeder both didn't produce for 2 years. I told the rancher I was going to put each female with a different male and didn't want babies. The following month both got pregnant. The rancher told me it must be the water that I give them.

I could be wrong...but I BELIEVE some used to just clip the fallopian tubes which proved to be less than entirely successful as sometimes they grew back together? Don't quote me on that, it's been a while...
Around here I've heard of vets doing dog/cat spay/neuters that simply clamped and tied off fallopian tubes very tightly so nothing could go though and hoped it'd be probable that the blood circulation died and the tubes would kind of cut themselves apart as tissue died :facepalm: (I dont think they did the boy's van defrens or whatever, i think they removed stuff there)

didn't want babies. The following month both got pregnant. The rancher told me it must be the water that I give them.
And this is why ranchers/breeders are looked down on by some, one ruins it for those doing it right.
Slightly off topic-the "something in the water" is getting more true by me though. Toledo had a city water crisis with toxins being let off by dieing algea (my dad still wont drink city water there), there's a nearby city- Curtice OH??? that has a high rate of cancer, especially in kids and is thought to be water related, and in Swanton, OH there's a lot of people who get cancer after retiring at their 20 year's (when the pension is gotten), but it seems to be limited to the people who drank a lot of water on the job. Maybe there's something to it after all *cue spooky music*

And this is why ranchers/breeders are looked down on by some, one ruins it for those doing it right.

It didn't matter to me if they had babies or not they stayed here. The water thing it's a joke.

Godofgods - Then she could not possibly have been neutered. There is no way for a female to carry puppies, babies, kits, kittens, whatever without a uterus. I had a vet tell me a dog was fixed and she gave me nine pups. If you don't have proof of the surgery that was done to neuter her, then she wasn't neutered.

Your probably right. This was when i was a kid, i have no way to prove anything. I just no she went in for the procedure. Came out form the procedure, vet said it was done. - few years later'

Back