No where to turn, coping with loss

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarobear

My little baby passed away early this morning. He has been battling teeth issues since he was 6 months old. He is now 3.5 years old, still very young. This morning, before I left the house, I held him and he seemed fine. I came home late at night to find him on his side, limp and not moving. The emergency vet he goes to didn't have any exotic vets because it was Labor Day. He died the next hour in my arms. I saw him gasping for his last few breaths.

I have been crying all night, replaying what had happened in my mind over and over. I felt so helpless when he was in pain. I felt like he was hanging on until I came home to hold him. He loves being held and likes to take naps on my lap. He is the most loving, cuddly and sweetest chin. It seems that my family and boyfriend cannot relate to my feelings of sorrow, although they are sad, they move on by next day. I just wanted to share my story about an amazing chin that I will never forget. I wish I owned a house so that I can bury him and have him remain next to me. I've decided to cremate him so that he will forever be by my side. RIP Taro

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. May you find peace and strength during your time of mourning.

I'm so sorry about your beloved Taro. It's hard for other people to really understand unless they have the pet themselves. Taro was your pet and you are going to feel the most loss. Let yourself grieve and give yourself plenty of time. Pets are family and you will grieve them just the same. Make a collage or photo book with pictures of Taro. It will help you. Wishing you the best. *hugs*

so sorry - it is so hard to lose a furry friend. I too lost a chin in Aug. - I had to have her put down because of health problems that could not be fixed. So sad!!!

Malo chins and their parents have a very special bond, its one you will never forget.

Your tiny paws reach for me in my dreams
as you did in life
taking my heart in your small fingers
in the brief time we were together.
I feel your whiskers on my cheek,
hear your diminutive whisper in my ear
near the shoulder that
you loved to snuggle on.

I reach to touch the
velvety softness that was you
but grasp only heartache
and hard reality.

I am disconcerted that something
so little and fragile
should leave such a large hole
and such a powerful ache in my heart.

I find myself weeping for
joy never to be shared,
baby kisses lost to the wind and
the missing piece of my heart that was you

These you took with you
along with my love.

What might have been....
difficult words often spoken
Now said in fading whispers
with a sigh.

I miss you so much.

I am soooo sorry for your loss...it is a very sad feeling when the people you are closest too don't understand your pain...but nonetheless it is a very deep void... Please try and take comfort knowing that you did all that you could for Taro and that he may have passed at only 3 1/2 but for those 3 1/2 years he was a VERY loved chin... HUGS! RIP Taro...

my greatest sense of comfort when I lost my malo chin was that I knew he was no longer in pain. I believe they go on to a much better place. May you find comfort knowing he was loved and he is now in a better place.

Hugs and prayers of support.He passed away in your loving arms, one special last gift for both of you.

I'm so sorry for you loss.

I lost one of my boys earlier this year. My family is the same way. They move on by the next day. If you have other pets (cat, dog, etc.) take comfort in them.
I have 4 chihuahuas and can never get them all to lay still at the same time or take a nap with me. After four days of fighting to keep Tucker alive, I made to decision to have him put down after he stopped fighting. I came home and cried myself to sleep, but when I woke up all 4 of my dogs were laying with me. They know when you are sad and they want to help.

Thank you for all of your condolences. It was been very hard. I keep thinking about how he looked at me before he died, like he was calling out for my help. I keep thinking I should've done this or could've done that. I should've given him more of his favorite treats before he died. I should've spent more time with him. I should've let him out to play more. He didn't have a cage mate like my other pair, so he only had me and I was too busy to even give him time the last couple of weeks. I feel so horrible. He is my precious and I didn't do everything I could've done. Whenever I pass by the cage or give food to my other boys, I keep hoping that he would pop his head out and be ok. It doesn't feel real sometimes until I wake up in the morning and remember that he's gone...

Some pictures of my angel. Most of when he was healthy, before his dental issues. I didn't realize how sick he looked until I looked through his old pictures. How much he must've been suffering.... My poor baby

Attachments

• chin 002.jpg
    chin 002.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 17
  • chins 158.jpg
    chins 158.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 16
  • chins 137.JPG
    chins 137.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 18
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 20
Whenever one loses a friend/family, whether it be a person or a furry friend. we always do the 'should have, could have, would have' thing. Don't beat yourself up. You did what you could and your chin knows it where he is now. He is waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge. Someday you will meet again.

I"m so sorry about your Taro. I've only had my chin Henry for 3 months and he's already so precious to me. It's amazing how quickly we fall in love.

Please don't punish yourself by saying you should have or could have done more. You gave him a life of love, just try to focus on that. *big hugs* to you

Back