No treats before 6 months.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bovril

Ellie&Bovril <3
Hi guys,

I've accepted the "no treats for chins under 6 months" as conventional wisdom from all of you experienced owners, but I've just never seen the reasoning explained and I'm curious. Can someone enlighten me?

Sure! Kits have tiny tummies. If they fill their tummies with treats, there is no room for the nutritional food they need to grow. It takes very little to fill a kit's tummy.

Kits guts need to fully populate with bacteria before they can take on new things, takes about 6 months, that is what my mentor told me since I don't do kits.

Tomorrow I'll bring my first baby home. The "no treat" rule is the toughest. My 1 yr old loves her treat to the point I only think she tolerates me for it. :popcorn:

One thing to keep in mind that might make with holding treats easier is that no chinchilla needs treats. They're more for a human benefit than a chins and while they can be a useful bonding tool, no chins health will be compromised if it doesn't include treats :)

I think with chins that haven't been used to treats you could hand them a piece of hay, a pellet or an apple stick (or any other type of safe chew stick) and they will automatically think it's a treat.

My chins always like hay best when its first put in their cage, I've taken note what pieces they like picking out first too. Now if I have the time I'll sit their and hand out bits of choice hay as 'treats' before putting that days batch of hay in the cage. For example my BV girly really likes the flowers in the timothy hay So I'll pick them out and hand em too her.

I give my babies treats before 6 months. I figure if mom gets one the babies will end up fighting with her to steal it so they all will get a treat. They will only get 1/2 a shredded wheat but sticks they can have as many as they want.

Back