No offense........

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDiamond

I know you guys probably aren't trying to, but some of the more experienced chin owner's replies come off as kind of condescending. I know I'm not as experienced as many of you, but I'm not stupid. I don't mean to be rude, but that's what it feels like sometimes.

Everyone has to start somewhere regarding chinchilla care and husbandry. Please don't feel as though other users are being condescending. I'm not a novice chin keeper, but on many occasions, still need the guidance of more experienced keepers than myself. Ask any questions you need to! No question should be considered silly or foolish, and we will try to answer these questions to the best of our ability. Different members have various areas of expertise, for example, I know nothing about breeding. As a forum, there is a wealth of knowledge and help on here, so please feel free to utilise it without worrying.
Hope this helps. :wink3:

I do have to agree with you. I don't have any one particular post in mind, but I remember reading some in the past that felt that way to me too. Try not to take it personally, it is the internet after all. :)

I think you need to keep a couple things in mind, one is that this is a forum, not a straight chat, so it actually can be helpful when people over explain things, not necessarily for you but for anyone in the future that reads the thread. Also people on here have no idea where you've gotten your info from, pet store, breeder, vet, chinchilla books, various websites etc. Unfortunately a lot of the info that is currently out there is wrong or at best outdated. I know when I first got chinchillas 20 years ago a lot of what I was told by a breeder at the time is now considered wrong. Also vets now are trying to get into learning chinchillas but they just compare them to guinea pigs or rabbits, which are similar but not the same, so you can get bad info even from a vet.

I think another thing is if you stick around this forum long enough you will see a lot of situations of people getting chins and then realizing how much is involved. Situations of people not having money for vet care and wanting to know what to do at home. Or people getting into breeding without doing proper research and end up with issues commonly from breeding random chins together with no pedigrees. Or people refusing to accept what they were told before was wrong and they are going to do it anyway (commonly followed a short time later with a post about how their chin got sick, hurt or killed). Unfortunately these situations happen a lot, ideally people would do research before getting a chin (or any new pet for that matter) or before throwing males and females together, but it just doesn't happen often enough.
It does eventually wear on people seeing the same situation over and over, it may be the first time for you but for others they already know where it could be heading.

I hope I've made some sense, lol. I know it can be hard, but you'll need to take the advice that makes sense to you and let people's opinions go. I know a lot of the new owner questions have been asked over and over, so it's best to try just searching for the answer on here before asking questions, it might help make it feel less personal when you find out you are doing or thought something wrong.

BlueDiamond - I'm just going to say this before I shut this thread down. If you had bothered to read the rules, which you agreed to when you joined, you would know that you are not even supposed to be posting on here. The age limit is 14. You are 11. It has been brought to my attention by more than one person that you are not at the age limit to be allowed on this forum but I let it slide because I was afraid of what might happen if you didn't get good advice before you jump into breeding. After reading this post, I am rethinking my position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back