No more water buddies...what now??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainey

chinchuckles
So I need advice on what new water bottles I should purchase. I have one Water Buddy and wish I had more, but they've been discontinued and I can't find them anywhere on the internet unfortunately. I love how they sit flat against the cage, don't drip at ALL, and can be filled from the top

...I have 3 Nivek Topfills, but my chins keep chewing them and now one of them has a small hole, not to mention they DO drip a little bit. Also I've had them for less than a year, and all the valves were starting to look really gross and discolored. ALSO I stupidly washed all 4 bottles in the washing machine, and the Water Buddy held up but all the Niveks' partially melted and are no longer a normal shape.

So basically I love the Water Buddy in comparison and I wish I could find more water bottles like it, any advice?

Attachments

• WaterBuddy8oz_small.jpg
    WaterBuddy8oz_small.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 32
  • nivek5.5Flip_small.jpg
    nivek5.5Flip_small.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 30
Go into the water bottle manufacturing business and put us all out of our misery? Seriously, you'd have so many customers.

Maybe look on ebay or hope someone is hoarding them somewhere.

Lixit has a plastic bottle with a valve similar looking to the edstrom one. I haven't used it and it's recent so haven't heard much about it, either.

Lixit makes a bottle very similar to the water buddy: http://www.lixit.com/node/809 I got mine at Petsmart for I think $12, it's about 10oz and has a flat side to sit next to the cage. I had a metal guard for my old water buddies and it works great with the lixit.

one note about the Lixit valve bottle is that the top does not have a tight seal and will leak if tipped over.

doesn't Ryersons still carry the Water Buddy (I picked one up from them last month - look's like it is still on their website...)

If you have a plastic one that meets all your requirements let me know and I can fabricate a stainless steel shroud to protect it from being chewed on.

one note about the Lixit valve bottle is that the top does not have a tight seal and will leak if tipped over.

All bottles of this type will leak if turned over, they need a vent to work.

This is the stainless guard I have on the lixit: http://www.chinchilla.ca/items.php?ProductID=WB0401&Name=Water Bottles & Accessories&source=acces
Water buddies are still listed on the site so it appears that you may be able to order one but I actually like the lixit better than the water buddy because the nozzle is stainless not brass.

They DO have them on Ryerson's website, thank you!! On the chinchilla.ca website they are $5 more, so I'm glad there's more than one website still carrying them. Hah but now I'm considering getting the lixit ones. Do you absolutely need a guard with lixits? Because I feel like the material of the Water Buddy is a lot tougher than most I've seen so would be much harder to make a hole in. Also why is stainless better than brass for the nozzle?

Oh and caiti, I'm totally planning on it! ;)

I'm pretty sure brass is a toxic metal however it's not like the chin is going to eat the nozzle. Also with my water buddies, the brass changed colors (I guess like tarnish), perhaps it depends on the water or maybe cause I like to bleach things.

The lixit seems to be similar material as the water buddy. I have never had a bottle that the chins didn't try to chew and my water buddies had holes in the corners before I got a guard. You could make one out of wood fairly easily (though I'm not sure how long it'd last before replacing) but I would put something there to keep it from getting chewed no mater what bottle you get. I'm not a fan of periodically shelling out $10+ for water bottles, get a guard and the bottle will last you forever. One note is the lixit is not dishwasher safe, I only have one so not a big deal.

They still sell them in this website, which is from Brampton, ON, and they sell water bottle guards, that will protect the water bottle from being chewed, I still have a few of these bottles and guards, and I love them, they are a little more expensive I think, but these guys have been selling these kind of bottles for a while and have big sizes.

here's the link
http://www.chinchilla.ca/list.php?Category=E&source=acces

I've got a bunch of the water buddies and one of the lixit. If I needed mroe I'd stock up on the water buddy. Like I said the top on the lixit leaks (it's a flip top, with no secure way to close it - I never fill mine all the way because if the chins tip it, even a little bit, water pours out the top).

Both need meatal guards

I'm pretty sure brass is a toxic metal however it's not like the chin is going to eat the nozzle. Also with my water buddies, the brass changed colors (I guess like tarnish), perhaps it depends on the water or maybe cause I like to bleach things.

Interesting, in my case the bronze is the only one that hasn't changed color, all the stainless nozzles look really gross after having them less than a year! Well anyway thank you, you've convinced me to buy guards for all my bottles.

I don't think I'm going to use the Canadian website because of the price, so I'm either going to get more water buddies from Ryerson's or buy Lixits if I find a website that also sells guards and is less expensive than the Water Buddies. I wish everything wasn't so expensive....Thanks everyone for your help!

ChinsOnTheRocks I pm'd you about making guards for me.

To buy 3 water buddies and 4 shields at FlowerTown costs $78 (not including shipping, which I feel like would be a lot since it's Canada) and to buy 3 lixits and 4 shields at Chinworld is $73 (not including shipping, and I hear they have very high shipping costs)

So right now I'm trying to find the cheapest place to buy guards from and then I'll purchase 3 bottles from whichever website has the lowest shipping. Whether I get lixits or water buddies, the price is about $35 for 3, not including shipping.

Why can't they just make glass valve-type bottles?

hrm - I don't think I have original packaging still, but I think it is approx 8-10 oz? I will try to remember to check one this week

Latest posts

Back