No heating!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca

My boiler has been broken for over 3 weeks now, so no hot water, no heating. It's early December in the UK and it's pretty chilly. My chinchillas don't feel cold on their bodies but their ears and feet are cold and I'm concerned, I can't exactly put the heating on for them till my boiler is fixed and they have fleece in the cage but don't use it. There are two chinchillas in the cage and they do cuddle up to each other to keep warm but is there anything else I can do?

Thanks

Wouldn't they just chew the blankets through the cage? It's a good idea though!

I've found a small electric heater I can put in the room with them, just tried it, its very loud they don't like it one bit! I'll use it on a night when they're awake as opposed to when they're asleep!

Chinchillas love the cold and handle it quite well. As long as their water bottle doesn't freeze they are good. There is no need to cover the cage or move them.

Their bottle is no where near frozen, I was just concerned about their ears and feet as they felt pretty cold! Thanks for the advice :)

Their ears are naturally cold, it's how they keep themselves cool. Usually if their ears are warm, it means they are too hot. As stated chins love cooler weather and their thick fur protects them, as long as it's not freezing in your house they will be fine. I have heard of people keeping their barns at 50 and the chins doing ok.

Phew! Thanks! I know that they prefer being cool but after 3 weeks of no heating I was getting a bit worried! Even I have to have cold showers in December and I hate it!

Latest posts

Back