No fleece in FN cages?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hkkjstwcl

Hi. Are there any people here who don't lay fleece on the bottom of FN cages? I don't use fleece for my FN cages, but was wondering if it is ok. Thanks.

Why wouldn't it be ok to not use fleece? It's just a personal preference. I use fleece because I don't want to deal with the mess of shavings, and it's easier for me to clean cages.

Other people use bedding and some even use tile. Whatever you choose is up to you.

I have litter boxed in each unit since my chins tend to pee in it. In the litter boxes, I put bedding/shaving, but I don't lay anything on the FN pans themselves. I just wonder if chins need some cusion on the floor.

If you're using the plastic shelves that the FN's came with, I'd be worried about them chewing on it. Do you see any chew marks on them? I would definitely get them covered asap or get some bass pans.

I have bass pans in my FN cages. I have a duo of girls Bobo and GiGi who are major diggers--they dig up any shavings I had in there and they also pulled up any fleece liners I had in there. I now have a litter pan which for some reason they don't dig and I've removed a fleece liner. I have nothing but the bottom metal pan in there for them and they are fine. They don't "need" a cushion--but if they chew the plastic that is bad so yes if you don't have a liner covering that or you don't have at least the bass pans I would agree with Sandi and say to get those.

I have been using plastic pans that came with the cages. There are no chew marks...but, I would like to buy metal pans. Where can I get them? I have lots of fleece, but I am very bad at sawing etc. So, I can't make them to "cover" the plastic pans. I tried to jut lay the fleece on the floor, but my chins would make mess and the fleece didn't stay flat.

I agree, if you are using the plastic pans I would cover them up with something. I have had a chin get an impaction from chewing one of the plastic pans that came with the FN.

They don't need cushion. Do they go in the litter box 100% of the time? Mine don't, so I use the fleece for absorption. I don't want them peeing on a solid surface and the pee just sitting there for them to stand/run around in.

You can buy the bass pans from http://www.bassequipment.com/Cages/Ferret+Pans/default.aspx

Yep, what Stacie said. The link is the ferret/chinchilla metal pans, they are made for the FN's.

I don't use fleece in two of my FN's, but I do have them tiled because they will chew the plastic pans. The tiles were MUCH less expensive than the Bass pans. Actually, looking at their site, I tiled 3 FNs for a little more than the price of one of their cutout pans.

Back