no babies?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you think she's already pregnant, get him neutered now. Separating them is not going to hurt their feelings or make them lonely.

im not yelling at them...im just telling him the truth...everyone is trying to educate this person and they refuse to listen...

If they refuse to listen there is nothing we can do about it, I just hope they are mature enough to take advice even if they don't like it like adults do. Its called doing the right thing.

ok this site is full of extremists. you have your opinions and i have mine. and btw u keep saying all kinds of stuff that already mentioned... like "its not healthy to have her have litter after litter" thats why i am getting her neutured. thanks for all the advice. i just going to stop commenting here because its going no were.

ooh I'm 14 too but really you should seperate them I think putting the cages kinda side by side won't make them lonely :)

Courtney, chill out. You didn't appreciate the way things were said to you when you joined this site. It won't change if you reciprocate the same behavior. Your screw ups are still very fresh and have been discussed as recently as last week....so be careful about preaching to others. I know you are still showing an effort to learn (as we all are), and that is applaudable.

To the original poster: I agree with Mish. Getting your male neutered NOW is the best option. Like she said, they will need to remain separated for quite sometime until there are no more viable sperm. You will also need to use caution when reintroducing them. I've seen cases where even after years of being together they do not get along when reintroduced.

Listening and putting the wonderful advice you've been given will be a great way to start a good reputation here. Breeding to better the species is really the only legitimate reason to breed. Anything outside of that is pointless, IMO.

i made my mistakes and i regret and admit that..im trying to tell him i have been there and done that...he just insist that they stay together no matter what happens..

and yes that cage is very dangerous for a baby chin

Last edited:
is there anyway i could get them tested for malocclusion at the vets? the petstore i bought them from is a very good place, and specializes in exotics and reptiles. its not like a petsmart. so i think they got them from a good breeder. but just to be on the safe side.

ya i do, and i also did some research on this. since my chins are both standard.. theres a low chance of them having it,

To me this cage is not kit safe, I have no desire to breed but if I did I would not use this cage nor the cage on the floor next to it. Do a search on baby safe cages at least.

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16368

im not going to use that cage for my chins.. im using my old chinchilla cage that i removed all the plastic from and replaced with wood. and in my cage i use for my pair the shelves are to high for a newborn chin to get too.

ya i do, and i also did some research on this. since my chins are both standard.. theres a low chance of them having it,

that isnt true that im aware of..please if someone else knows for a fact chime in but that doesnt sound rite to me sorry....could you please post pics of your chins?

also if the babies cant get on the shelves thats not safe either because the mother can go up there and leave the babies on the bottom of the cage alone.

yes but i meant i will have them out of that cage before they can even get up there and risk falling.

Courtney, I'm going to reiterate what Laura said - chill out. You may think you're only sharing your experiences, but it's coming across as a jumbled mess of yelling. Let EXPERIENCED breeders and others post to this thread, please. I can already see the walls going up and you're not helping.

To the OP - No you cannot test for malo. You can diagnose it after it has happened, when it's too late, and the chin dies in pain. But you cannot do a blood test or anything else to find out if it's there.

Also, the color of the chin has squat to do with whether a chin will have malo or not. So many backyard breeders have bred anything and everything (yes, including pet store chins) that it's happening way too often.

Also, PLEASE edit your posts, and stop posting repeatedly in a row. You have 10 minutes to add any more thoughts to your post before you can't anymore - use the edit button.

There is no test for Malo. It has a genetic component. My very first chinchilla was a pet store chinchilla. She came from a store that bought their chinchillas directly from a "breeder" and they specialized in exotics. She came down with malo at 8 years of age. I bred her originally when I did not know better but her kit died at 2 weeks of age, thank goodness for that because I would not wish a malo chin on ANYONE.

since my chins are both standard.. theres a low chance of them having it,

I have no idea where you've heard this...2 of the three chins I've had that have maloccluded were standards. I know many many many other chinchillas that came down with malo that were standards. Coat color has absolutely NOTHING to do with their ability to carry the genes for malo.

If you want to be seen as mature and/or responsible, you need to separate the male NOW and have him neutered. They are not wolves or humans, they do not bond or mate for life. They are a prey animal that breeds however and whenever in the wild, they do not get the concept of bonding at all. Just because they get along, snuggle and groom each other does not mean they are bonded. You need to understand this first and foremost. They will NOT go into depression, suffer or even die if separated.

The ledge may be too high for a newborn to jump to, but the REASON we use one level cages is because the parents jump from the shelves, crushing the babies. You don't even have the basic knowledge of the correct cage, shelving and wire spacing for these chins. Do you REALLY want the heartache of dead babies and or your female dying?

Thinking the chances of something going wrong are not that high is completely incorrect. Things can go wrong with EVERY pregnancy. There are so many things that can go wrong, it's a miracle when things go right. If you want a cute chin family, don't risk your female's life. Go buy a baby girl from a breeder to be her lifetime cagemate.

chinchilla.com

it says "in general, ressesive mutations, like ebony, sapphire, and violet, along with hybrids are more likely to malloclude then standards and dominent colors, although any chinchillas can possibly malloclude"

Last edited:
chinchilla.com

it says "in general, ressesive mutations, like ebony, sapphire, and violet, along with hybrids are more likely to malloclude then standards and dominent colors, although any chinchillas can possibly malloclude"

And I along with many other experienced breeders on this site are telling you different. Chinchillas.com is an auction site run by a woman who does not own chinchillas. Her knowledge is limited.

Back