Nice to meet you all!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karivera19

Hello! My name is Kari, I'm a first time owner, and my chin is a little mosaic boy named Benedict =) he's very curious, and quite intelligent at times. Figuring out how to break out of his exercise ball is one example. However, he also has a habit of misjudging distance when jumping haha. He loves vaulting off my husband's head when he's sitting on the couch, and he likes tickling hubby's feet with his whiskers too. He has his grandma (my mama) wrapped around his furry little fingers, and pleads with her to feed him treats when the hubby and I are at work. She easily succumbs to feeding him lots of raisins behind my back and then guiltily admitting to it later. =D My hubby's a carpenter and is currently making a chinchilla mansion for Ben, the main compartment is already built but the tunnels and extra rooms are still in construction (he uses scraps of wood left over from jobs to make it. Dry, untreated poplar only!) Since I AM a first time owner, I'm really looking forward to reading the experienced chinchilla parents' ideas and suggestions on how to make my baby happiest =) so give me any suggestions you feel are appropriate!:thumbsup:

Welcome Kari. We're glad to have you. :)

FYI - Exercise balls are known as death balls on this forum. They are never, ever recommended for chinchillas due to overheating issues as well as just being incredibly unsanitary (peeing and pooping on themselves). In addition to that, chins hop they don't run, so the ball causes them to move in a way that is not natural to them. I would imagine he is escaping the ball because he doesn't like it.

Welcome to the forum! The best advice I can give is to just read up as much as you can and ask any questions you may have. We're happy to help.

Welcome!!!! You stated "She easily succumbs to feeding him lots of raisins behind my back and then guiltily admitting to it later". You can't feed your chin raisins or any type of fruit or veggie for that matter... Please read up on the new owner forums...you'll learn TONS of valuable info...Again welcome. I don't mean to sound negative but just want you to have your little guy around for a long time and feeding them things that you shouldn't won't keep him around as long as you'd like...

And yeah...throw that "death ball" away asap!!!!!

Thanks guys!! =) I appreciate the info- his escaping the ball makes a lot more sense now. It has been disposed of! The raisins on the other hand.....I've never heard that raisins, and other fruits and veggies are bad for them. I've always been told, both online and in books and in stores, that while the hay makes up 70% or more of their diets, they do supplement it with various fruits, like papaya, banana (dried banana chips, at least), and raisins, of course. Can you explain why raisins are bad, and why do others recommend them anyway?

Welcome to CnH!
This forum is great its always great to see new members even though i myself am new. :)

Hi! Welcome!! I understand why you are questioning the raisin/fruit stuff. The link above is a great source. My boyfriend had a chin that we fed raisins too but once I joined this forum I stopped giving them to her. It's sugar and chins shouldn't have that. Chins can become bloated from items such as fruit. I hope you find more answers here on how to better take care of your chin :)

Back