Nibbling?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxYukai

Hi, I just got my chinchilla on wednesday and it's now friday night. He seems to be getting used to me. The only thing I've been feeling strange about is his nibbling. They're not enough to pierce my skin or enough to hurt, but theyre not that light nibbling I've experienced with another chinchilla.

Whenever I reach in to give him a treat, he likes to exlore my arm or hand and do that over and over. He'll usually try to reach over my arm when he's near the door, though I stop him. He doesnt nibble my mom's hands (he rather sniffs hers), but he does it to me. Could it be a scent or something? Usually he gets more and more bouncy as he nibbles me, and gets a little harder. He tries to get out a lot.

He lets me pet his head while he eats for a bit, and thats all so far. Is that good for only 3 days?

Should I be worried about him? Does it just mean he's exploring or is he trying to warn me?

Also he doesnt sleep in one area. Rather he sleeps anywhere. Is that pretty normal?

And how much should you feed them? About how many pellets, and how much hay?

Thank you guys! I'm new to this, and I'm a worry-alot for my new chin. I want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Last edited:
Generally they'll eat a couple of table spoons of pellets a day. I usually fill the bowl half way up as some eat a little more than others. I think you're doing fine being it's only been 3 days. I got 3 boys at once in October and 1 is still a bit skittish. The other 2 are super friendly with 1 of those 2 doing what yours is doing to you. That is why his name is Twilight. :D

Thanks! ^^ I still wonder why exactly he's nibbling though. I gave him a treat earlier, maybe that's why.

Also I'm getting a bit paranoid since I have kaytee pellets for him, any people are saying that it's pretty bad. I just got him, so I'm worried that a change will be too much for him. Plus I can't find Mazuri anywhere's near me, there are only other brands. He seems to be doing okay. He won't eat some of it unless I hand feed it to him.

I ordered my feed online through Sandi up there ---^ and it's great! The price is appropriate and you don't have to drive very far to go find the right type of feed for your chin!

You don't have to really worry about a change in feed being too much for him. You can slowly taper him off the old feed by mixing the two feeds, and make sure you have lots of hay.

I have raised my boy gandalf from birth-and he still puts his mouth on everything that comes into his cage :) Whether it is edible or not haha

Latest posts

Back