Newly found allergies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessers

I knew I was allergic to some fur and dust when I was younger but I haven't had any problems so I thought it was gone. I volunteered today at a cat adoption centre and now I can't stop sneezing :banghead:
Any ideas to stop these allergies? And I really want to vounteer still. :cry3:

Zyrtec works really well as well as claritin and the nasal spray ones

Also shower and put clothing in wash asap when your done.

antihistimines are your friend and when you pet a cat, don't touch anything on you until you wash your hands afterward.

I'm allergic to the world pretty much and I volunteer at animal shelters. I've had cats my whole life and am very allergic. When I worked at a vet hospital, it turns out a lot of people who worked there are allergic to animals. I take antihistimines everyday and you just learn to control it. After a while, it becomes a habit.

Last edited:
I have to take either a Benadryl before work or some Claritin. I am highly allergic to cats and I work as a Vet Tech. The office cat loves to sit on my things which send me into an allergy fit. My eyes and nose start burning if I touch my face, so after handling a cat, I always wash my hands and keep from touching my face while at work. But Benadryl and Claritin have helped tons. Just keep in mind, Benadryl might make you sleepy.

:p I had a Claritin right after cause I didn't think I would have those nasties but it took a while and it finally cleared up at 6 (I finished at 1) along with a box of tissues. I'll keep these meds in mind. Hopefully my parents will still let me volunteer :( I'm not allergic to just one or two cats/dogs but having a full room of fur and litter flying around doesn't help :p Thanks for the suggestions!

:p I had a Claritin right after cause I didn't think I would have those nasties but it took a while and it finally cleared up at 6 (I finished at 1) along with a box of tissues. I'll keep these meds in mind. Hopefully my parents will still let me volunteer :( I'm not allergic to just one or two cats/dogs but having a full room of fur and litter flying around doesn't help :p Thanks for the suggestions!

Antihistimines can help in the moment, but they work best if you've been on them for a few days by the time you have an attack. You'll likely notice a difference in a week. Most antihistimines are pretty simlar in what/how they do things but some people have to try different ones and find one that works (kind of like antibiotics). I'll turn you into a pill popper yet--just like me muahahahha!! haha, no I've just been on allergy meds for hmmm, over a decade. I hate allergies, gah.

I am allergic to almost everything including pet dander and dust. I take Zyrtec 24 hour every day. When I come out from working in my chin room, I immediately take a shower and irrigate my nose with saline solution. This seems to keep things pretty much under control.

Antihistamines, like Zyrtec and Claritin work well, but for me at least, they only seem effective if I take them every day.

Also, allergens are cumulative. Your body will tolerate a certain amount without reacting. Once you cross a threshold of allergens in your environment, that's when you will start having an allergic reaction. If you are able to reduce allergens in your every day environment, (like washing sheets and curtains regularly, etc) then you might be able to tolerate the pet dander at the shelter a little better.

I hope so, I just need to sell the idea of me volunteering to my parents.. They think it'll cause me to go to a hospital for a visit in the future :( I want to get all my 'arguments' together before I bring up the idea :)

Back