Newbie questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lava ledges are fine. Most chins love them.
You will probably find better prices for the Blue Cloud dust in the classifieds here. Snickers (Nan) sells it and should have a thread in the for sale section. And the Blue cloud is the best because it's the finest and won't leave your chin gritty or greasy. The dust is actually really soft and makes the chins really soft too.

I will buy the dust from here then. Thanks for letting me know about the lava ledges! I will order the two that I was planning on buying. Should I order extra? Will my chinchilla demolish them quickly?

I think with dogs it depends on the personality, I have 3 large dogs and two could care less and completely ignore the chins, the third wants to eat them.
The lava ledges, it's hard to say, some chins chew through them in a matter of hours others it can take months. The two you ordered should give you a good idea to start with. It really depends on if the chin is a heavy chewer or not and if the lava rock is something they enjoy chewing.

I got my chinchilla and the dog doesn't seem to care at all. He ignores him lol I ordered the lava ledges so hopefully my chin likes them! Thank you for the help =)

Just read through all this-I seem to remember holding by the tail is bad-the vertebrae are too weak to support them, but that you can partially lift by the tail to sex them? Just not to hold them up? I've never had the need either but you'd think we'd know just in case. I guess I just wouldn't take the risk unless it was an emergency where something else could hurt him worse.
My chin ate one side of his lava ledge until his weight popped it off the metal screw. So he just gets a lava chunk sitting on a ledge thats bigger than the lava triangles.
If you're looking at toys still, my guy likes bird shredders (a $5 pack of coconut leaf shredders-I got it at Christmas and still have plenty) he occasionally chew on loffah, but it was fun for me to dye it with kool-aid. Just the packet and a bit of water, don't add the sugar. And make sure the loofah is natural not bleached. Parrot toys have some good chin safe wood on metal chains. It's worth having a safe wood list handy when getting toys from pet stores, I really need to put on in my wallet. Popular chews are sticks-apple is common, my guy likes grape and pear as well. (I've also done blackberry but he wasn't a huge enough fan that 'm going to deal with de-thorn-ing that often) you can pm me about sticks or there's plenty of other people who have stores-there's even a sticky in the classifieds.
Rosehips-I got 3 oz of full ones (not the crushed and seeded) at Christmas (my pets get presents and stockings) and give him one every couple days and still have about half left.
other treats I give (he gets one of something a day). A rosehip, an organic unflavored cherrio, a couple rolled oats, a pinch of Post shredded wheat, and then once a week he gets a small piece of dried papaya. But only once a week-too much sugar to be given daily but he loves it. I used to do raisins but the many posts on here against it led me to stop. There's healthier stuff that he likes too.
Lots of stuff can be found in the health food store (and while there you may want to check out Carob chips-doggie safe chocolate basically). Plenty of members here have a bunch of stuff too.

Back