Newbie post and questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penna

Hello, so I keep Red Tail Boa Constictors and breed Netherland Dwarf rabbits, I've keeps a number of different animals over the years but never chinchillas, till about two months ago.
Then I found a three in need of a home, then two more, I'm not sure what happened but now 5 free chinchillas have their own room in my house and I'm doing all I can to make these sweetheart feel loved.

So I have 3 females all their own version of grey and a black *ebony* & white *mosaic* boys. I'm quite certin that at least one of the females came to me pregnant but other then that they all seem in great health although I think they were passed around a lot before they came to me, so stressed to the max.

I have been reading as much as I can find, but as I'm sure all of you know chinchilla care seems to be a little all over the place opinon wise. I'd love to find a old time breeder to take me under their wing but I do not expect to find that person.

So my questions of the day:
Fleece? Why this material for use in chin bedding, does it make a difference if the fleece is 100% natural wool fleece or will a poly/cotton mix do?
Suppliers and ording online, I'm looking for a someone to ship me feed and blue cloud dust, I just finally got the herd moved over to oxbow and I'd like to keep them on it but finding it in ready supply is not great.

I found someone who can ship me dust but the only have alderpark pellets and I'm not sure if I should make the chins go through another feed change, they were getting crap before they came to me and I don't want to change their feed so often.

I'm also working on a safe and not safe plant material list, but I'll leave that for another post, as this one is getting long, and I'll have to have pic for the next postings.

My first boy that i took in was passed around so much that no-one new ANYTHING about his past. He was stressed to the max and beyond. The good news is that now (out of my 5 chins) he is with out a doubt the most friendly and personable one of all!

Fleece types, i have been told, are Anti-pill and Blizzard. All materials would be dangerous for them to ingest, But AP and Bliz supposedly have no loose fibers that all the other kinds do. Which makes it hard for a chin to get with their mouths. Which is what makes it more successful. However if they tear it up or come to the point of trying to eat it, then you will have to remove it.
I personally have two fleece shelf liners and two fleece pillows (but not cage liners). And to date iv had no problems with any of my chins and fleece. But like everything in life, nothings guaranteed.

welcome to the forum! :wave3:

if you have a petsmart near you, they sell oxbow pellets. it could get pricey buying the 5 pound bags from petsmart for 5 chins, but at least you know it would be available. i believe oxbow is no longer going to sell their product directly to the public after december 5th, and it will only be available in stores/through retailers after that time. i buy my oxbow from petsmart most of the time - with only two chins, it isn't that much of a cost issue for me.

if you are considering breeding, don't do it with your free chins. without a pedigree and knowledge of the bloodlines, you have no idea if your chins are likely to pass on malocclusion or other issues as a genetic trait to their kits or not. get a good knowledgeable breeder/rancher to mentor you, get quality pedigreed chins, and go from there.

i suggest to read through as many threads here on the forum as you can. turn that brain into a sponge! lol. most members here on CnH share the same correct ideals when it comes to caring for chins, so you've definitely come to the right place :))

Thank you for the info on the fleece godofgods I'll look into those namebrands.

I do now have a petsmart, I'll check them out it shouldn't be a problem on cost its just I need to know its there when I need it.
Please know I do not want to breed but I got two male/female pairs that came to me housed together, and at least one of the pairs female is already showing so I'm almost positive that she'll be due in a month or so. So I need to do a good amount of reading about breeding and all the things to follow.
As for finding a mentor, I'm trying but the only other real chinchilla breeders are quite a ways from me being face to face and I don't want to ask a lot from someone when I know how busy things can get.
So reading and questions, I'll be around.

Alderpark pellets are freshly milled and top quality. I would seperate those male female pairs. I am sure either Pam from Alderbrook or Serena from Chinchilla Park Place would help you out via email. Both are on the Island.

Thank you Tagna, first thing I did was get everyone into their own home, I actually had a lot of trubble with this as the pair with the definitely preggers chin are the sweetest pair ever! They snuggle against the wire of where their cages sit beside each other, its so hard to keep them apart but I do understand they should be, and the female does seem more comfortable in her own space.

I've also started talking with Serena from Chinchilla Park Place as I try and boycott pestmart as much as possible and all I need is food and dust and she can do that for me, and for cheeper then a bag of oxbow at pestmart. ^u^

I just not sure if I want to bug her as she does seem really busy filling orders.

if you had male/female pairs, and especially if you think one is pregnant (good assumption) i definitely suggest reading up on baby kits. They can be tricky and sneaky little guys. I almost lost mine because i didn't know enough to prepare ahead of time. (they are so unbelievably small.. its amazing!) (FYI, that kit is doing great now, just turned 1yo a month or so back)

Yes, definitely read up on the kits because they have rather specific cage requirements. Also how far apart are the cages between the males and females? I know chins can breed in separate cages so they have to be a couple inches apart, not sure the exact distance hopefully someone can chime in with that info. It is great that you separated the males and females, a lot of people don't because they are afraid they'll be "lonely" but don't realize the dangers of breeding, so good job! My best suggestion for preparing for the kit/kits would be to read up on the breeding threads and basically just learn as much as you can. There are quite a few breeders on here who I'm sure would be happy to answer question you may have especially since you aren't the one who did the accidental breeding. Welcome to the forum!

Just so you know, Joanne's is doing a 3 day sale on their blizzard fleece. $2.99 a yard for prints and solids! This is a great deal as it is usually $8 - $10 a yard. there is also a coupon for 25% off your entire purchase for Friday and Saturday.
Also, blizzard and anti-pill are not name brands but types of fleece.

The cages need to be a minimum of 2 inches apart to avoid breeding through the cage bars. They are determined little buggers when they want to do something and the males are well endowed so it is possible for them to breed when they are in two cages that are right next to each other.

i thought male/female cages needed to be a minimum of 6 inches apart to safely keep them from breeding through the bars?

I keep the caging at about 5 inches apart so I should be good, although most of my cages have 1 inch bar spacing the female chin is in my only one that has 1/2 inch, I hope it will do.
The cages I have right now are 3x3x2' wire cages with a solid plastic base, I do intend on upgrading their cages to all wood and wire, as I love making cages and I'd like just a little big more floor space for them.

Thank you mrh1980 for the tip on fleece, I may have missed the sale but I'll check out what they have all the same.

I read that you can know when a chin is getting closer to her due date by the length of her nipples, that they will grow to the length of her fur? I checked her out the other day and they are about 1/2 her fur length, is their any little tricks to know when she's getting ready.
The thing that scares me the most is that I don't know when it could happen, with my rabbits they pull fur and make a big show of nest building and within two day, kits.

She, I call her Lady chin or Lilith, seems very healthy but she does move a little slower and stays on the bottom rather then the high shelf and when I hold her she does have a very full belly compared to all the other chins, she weighs just shy of 800g.

Another question??? what issues would come from feeding a very small amount, 1/16, of a fresh organic rosehip v.s. a dried rosehip.
I was able to do a big pick and I'm seeding & drying as fast as I can, but the bunnies are going nuts over the fresh rosehips and the chinnies are staring at me.

One of the signs that she may be close is the elongation of the nipples. Hers sound pretty long. Has she had any previous litters or is this her first litter? Another sign that she is getting close is hanging out in the bottom of the cage. Most of mine will do that within the last couple of weeks. Can you feel the kits moving? That is another sign that she is close. I can usually fell and see the kits moving in the last 2 weeks or so.

I got her and her mate from a breeder that was in the middle of a messy divorce and just needed them gone, I got little info other then their both around 4 years and they have had litters in the past.
I do not know how many litters she's had or when the last one was, but i was told they were show chins and the male knows he's pretty so I could believe it.

I've also noted that she has gained 50-100g since I got her at the end of august.

awww I wanna feel the little chinnys, I hope it goes well if it hapens, I hope theirs only one.

@ticklechin
I have a Clinic that was recomended to me for having Vets that can handle chinchillas who know of my situation are are ready to help me, but as they seem in perfect health and I do not feel the need for a meet and greet check up, I've yet to bring them in for a visit.
I live in the South Surrey area so although Eagle Ridge Animal and Bird Hospital is my first choice for an excellent vet, I have King George Bird and Exotic Animal Hospital if an emergancy happens and I need a vet sooner then later.

I've worked with a number of vets through volunteering with a few organizations, I'm trying to get my foot in the door for being a vet tec or at the very least in the office.
So I feel confident to be able to handle most complications but part of that is reading and learning as much about a new species till my eyes bleed.

As although I've aided in birthing for a number of different critters; dogs, rabbits, horses, goats, my nephew O.O I could go on, every birth is different without even bringing in species.

But if anyone here can recomend me another vet in the British Columbia Lower Mainland, or wants to comment on my two choices of clinics please do.
The vets I know personally don't mind giving general advice but their expertise is in reptiles and birds or horses and cows rather then rodents, and I never want to ask much from a vet willing to work for a trade of skills.

I'm a chef who has alway wanted to work with animals, but had issues trying to get into school, so working on contacts and self education till I can work things out.

So yes I can get her to a vet if I need to, hopefully I wont, looking for info on all the complications that could happen, the symptoms, and how to deal.

Latest posts

Back