New steel wheel, but Kimchi is not taking to it

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailor_Orbit

Moon Cosmic Power Make up
Hi!
I got this new steel wheel (16") with ball bearings so it can rotate easily. She had it the whole night and part of today, but she doesn't seem so keen to using it. If anything she tries to go on top of it or go beside it but not really in it to run in. How would I get her to use it or familiarize herself with the wheel? Oh by the way she lost quite a bit of fur because of being startled of going on top and falling from it. She's fine but yea fur release!

Also I had her for 2 weeks so far. When should I try to hold her a bit? When I am on the bed she climbs on me but doesn't really like my hands so much, in terms of going on them or trying to hold her. I pretty much use the dust bath house to get her in the cage.

A few of mine took a few days and even weeks to figure out their wheels. I would always put treats/sticks in the wheels so they would get comfortable with hopping up in them. I taught one of my boys to run by putting him in the wheel and holding oats in front of him so he would try to "run" to get them. I'm evil :D

I'd start holding her now. I've always started handling mine a few days after I got them so they could start getting used and comfortable with it. Some people will say wait a week/weeks, but IMO the sooner you start getting them used to being held, the better.

As Stackie said, some take a few days. I have read stories about chins that didn't take to their wheels for years and then one day, poof! They are on it and loving it. So who knows ha ha! Also, as she explores the wheel, it might startle her... I wouldn't worry too too much about that.

Try holding her for bonding time. I doubt she will be too excited about it, but if she tries to bite, make sure you just pick her up anyway and don't react, otherwise she will figure out that if she doesn't want you to do something, all she has to do is bite you. When you hold her, support her front paws with one hand and her butt/back legs/tail with your other hand with her back to your chest. Chins feel safest this way. As you begin to bond, you can try whatever and see what she is most comfortable with. :)

My little Scotty likes being held with one arm just under my armpit, but it took a while for him to get used to me picking him up at all before we figured that out :)

Thank you for the info! I was able to pick her up today without her spraying me XD So has my husband :) She's still kind of peeing on the bed... so much laundry.

I see that her poop is a bit greenish now, like some of them. I really limited her oxbow pellets. but if she eats more than a little her poo starts getting soft again. It's still kind of soft. I am going to post this question on my other thread.

Back