New soon-to-be Hedgie mom

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Latrine

Hello everyone:)

My name is Sarah and I live in South Carolina. I hate it here but.. That's okay.
(I'm originally from NJ and the people around here don't like Yankees, lol..)
We had been living in upstate NY together for several years but my fiancé, Dennis's dream is to be a farmer and so we moved here and he is learning as he 'grows'.
He is doing VERY well and I enjoy smirking at some of the local farmers who said those 'dam Yankees' can't do anything.
I think he will be planting on a bit over 200 acres this year, soybeans and corn. I don't work due to my health but I help out as much as I can on the farm, I name the tractors, catch tiny lizards.. Etc.
I take care of our animals, as well.

I'm sitting here staring at my Ferret Nation cage.. Setup.. Re-set-up.. Pover and over, is it perfect yet? Lol. I make my fiancé look at the temp all the time and he is ready to kill me. "Yes, Sarah.. the thermometer is still reading the same temp as it was when YOU checked it 3 seconds ago.." "Yes, the thermostat is plugged in" lol. I'm just a little over-excited.. maybe a little too excited!

My hedgehog should be ready to leave momma and come home the first week in April! I've never had one before but I've been spending the past month scouring the internet for information and I'm pretty confidant I've got everything I need. (Aside from a sewing machine so I can make my own bags and tunnels for them)
My niece is fascinated by our new colony of meal worms.. I'm sure our large poultry flock will appreciate them as much as the hedgehog.
( maybe they'll start foraging instead of standing at the front door screaming for treats.. I have no idea how they learned to do that.. :facepalm: )

I grew up rescuing small animals and releasing them when possible, mammals, reptiles and birds. I've hand raised several different species of bird, from finches to conures. (Baby finches are SO tiny!!!) I really prefer animals to humans, I think.. Lol.

We have four dogs, three are rescues. Two are Jack Russells, Ben & Sprocket, Sprocket is a rescue, a very tiny and timid little girl.
Izzie is a pit/shepherd mix. She was our first rescue and our first real experience with pit bulls.. Sweetest. Dog. Ever. Our niece found her as a puppy when we bought our house here, around Christmas, so she was a great 'present'.

Bugsie, an Australian Shephard, is the newest addition. He wandered into our yard a few months ago about 18-20 pounds underweight. He's beautiful and very loving and protective. (And no longer underweight) We are still learning about how to deal with his high energy levels.. Especially hard now because it's warming up again and he has such long fur.

We have two rescue parrots, a Timneh Grey named Tyler and a Yellow Naped Amazon, Rocky. They are both a bit older, but still very loud, messy & obnoxious (and wonderful)

And then there's Moo. He's our Mini Pot Belly Pig. He's just ridiculous.. I love him and his cute pig noises.
He lives outside because he pees in boots but he has a great area of his own and is out playing with the dogs all the time. He and Sprocket are the best of friends. When they aren't playing chase or shoving each other around, they are napping together in the sun.

I'm sick a lot of the time, (digestion issues) I'm still recovering from my last surgery (#13) and it's been very difficult. My fiancé and the animals in our family keep me going..

- Sarah

Hi Sarah. Welcome to CnH. I envy you living in the Carolinas. My favorite vac is the outer banks to Georgia. After this horrible winter I wish I was there. Almost April and it snowed again last night.

Sounds like you have a busy house. Hope your health continues to improve. You will learn a lot on here and meet many friends. Congrats on your new hedge. Post pix soon.:)

Welcome! Sounds like a farm :) I hope you find all kinds of information and friends on this site!

Thanks, nice to meet you all..
Turns out my Hedgie needs another week or so :(
Best for her to be healthy before leaving momma!

I'll post a video of my actual hog in the appropriate area:)

- Sarah

Back