New rescued chin-loose stools and mats:( Help!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cass7nova

Flufenes causes grins! ;)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,
I am new to the area so I have not selected an exotics Vet yet, but you guys we're recommended to me! I currently have a 6 month old happy and healthy chinchilla (already had her wellness check-up and just two days ago I found myself in a situation where I had no choice but to adopt from a rescue (Fallin Pines Critter Rescue, Christmas, FL ) ,an adorable additional female. I did not have an opportunity to see her, or give her an inspection before I agreed to take her.( Once I saw her I could not let her go back to her current enviroment-it felt like I rescued her from a rescue:/) Her condition was worse than the rescue let on to me in the phone/email interviews. She is approximately 1 year old and a pattern/color mutation black (black velvet). Her demeanor is very sweet and loves to cuddle, but still has plenty energy to play/explore/run around. The only history/health history she came with was her approximate age and that she,2 hedge hogs, and a hamster were given up by the owner because she could not financially support/had enough time for all the animals any longer and she had a "few" mats. She has a spot roughly 1.5 in x 1.5 in on her backside where mats were cut out and still has a few here and there. I have managed to get one or two more out and she's patient in letting me do so but some still remain and I know this will cause her stress/more issues if left in. The corner of one of her eyes was “glued" closed with some crusties and some light yellow tinged, slightly white discharge -although no redness present at this time. I gently cleansed with sterile eye wash at a warm temperature and applied new and sterile Gentamicin Ophthalmic Ointment. It is one day later and the eye remains open with almost no crusting and only a scant amount of clear drainage. From what I can tell she has no signs of malocclusion , but I am not a trained professional. I have adequate Chinchilla experience and am also a nurse but I wanted to have a wellness check-up for her because of the environment in which she inhabited was cause for alarm. She was in one of a series of four ground hutches. On either side of her only separated by chicken type wire, were some species of exotic squirrels and native squirrels that ran free but were tame and also bunnies. This hutch was outside, but in the shade. The temp was in the 80's and somewhat humid. I almost went into a panic because I know Chinchillas should be kept in an environment close to 70 degrees, but she seemed to be fine. She's very resilient I've noticed . The hutch floor was the ground and it was dirt basically. I did not notice a dust bath either(it was a big area with a lot in it-but she had it to herself). For the past two days I have given her unlimited access to Blue Cloud dust baths and she has taken advantage of that! She has had a hearty appetite with me and loves her timothy based pellets, timothy hay, and some alfalfa hay. She also drinks plenty of distilled water, and chews/ plays with her apple wood sticks. I noticed yesterday that her stool was not formed like it should be and the color was a little lighter brown.No mucus or blood though. I switched her to just timothy hay and will try probiotics/live cultures later today if it doesn't improve. Sadly, this is all the information I have on her as of current .
I wrote this last night and she has taken some of the live cultures. She's still as active as can be and happy. I managed to get more of the mats left by the "gently tug and fur slip method" and she's fine with it. I have emailed seven vets and am waiting for a response(and will call when 9:00 hits) so I can get her in ASAP.I would like to know in the mean time if theres anything else I can do!! Thank you!!
Her name is Momo

It could be the diet change. You can burn toast until it is black on both sides and give that to her or plain shredded wheat to help firm up her stools. Keeping her on hay until it does is a good idea.

I'm so glad that you got her, that is really awful. You would think that a "rescue" would know better. I'm also glad that her eye cleared up.

You do have her quarantined away from your other chin, right?

Momo is what I call my co-worker when she is being stupid. lol

It was an " exotic animal rescue" and Momo was the only Chinchilla there. Today I did the one bottle water of 50/50 no sugar/no flavor pedialite and one bottle water of distilled for her and she has been taking from both. She also had some live cultures and a couple organic oats. Her stools look a tad better. The earliest the vet can see her is Monday morning at 9 am. Haha I got it off Avatar a Japanese anime cartoon . in it Momo is a Winged-Lemer. It translates to "Peach" :)

Not much of a rescue, not if they can't even bother Googling chinchilla and seeing how to care for them.

I am glad that they are looking better. I would try the burnt toast, it usually works pretty quickly. Even if it completely clears up it obviously isn't a bad idea having her checked out.

That is cute. =)

Welcome to the forum! I'm so glad you took little Momo in. :)

I know its kind of far from you, but Essentia on here runs a wonderful rescue in Jacksonville. Perhaps she can recommend a vet in your area.

Latest posts

Back