New owner of two.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I just got two chinchillas last night. One is 5 years old and one is 4 months old. They are both male. I have a few questions. My older one kept mounting my younger one and it looked like he was trying to groom him but the younger one was whining. Then the younger one started mounting the older. I don't know if this can be considered fighting but it seems to be a problem. Should I separate them? Also I had a rough start with them both. When I had either of them on my lap when i first met them at the shelter, they were fine with me in fact, they were both pretty calm. I bring them home and it is a whole other story. The older one backed off and let out a cry when I tried to pet him in his new cage and then bit me when I tried to hand feed him pellets. The younger one also bit me when I put my hand close to cage. I really don't know what to do. Did I already ruin our relationship? At this point I am kind of scared to even put hay in there because I am scared they will bite me. Also, They only stay on the second floor of the cage. I have the hideout on the top and water bottle on the bottom. I just thought they would be fine using both floors. I am trying really hard here, but after all my research it seems as if I know nothing.

most importantly, just give them some time and space. They need a week or so to get used to their new aurroundings. Second, do not be affraid of them, like all animals they know when your affraid and will use it against you. Sit by their cage and talk to them, take things slow. Being rambunctious and CrAzY is just what chins do. give them time to settle in.

Were these chins together before you adopted them? It sounds like they were just put into a cage together without any introduction? That's not going to work and they will fight for their territory and dominance. It really seems like they will need separated. If I were you, I'd separate them right now. It's a very high risk to keep them together and this situation is probably can escalate very quickly. Chins can tear each other apart. If you wait, you better watch them very closely- but I wouldn't risk it.

As far as their behavior, I think separation would probably help the problem. If they are stressed all the time, they are going to act out. Think about it. If you're worried about being attacked and bothered, you're really not going to want a human messing around and disrupting things further. Separate these chins before things get out of hand and let them get used to their surroundings. They will be much happier by themselves.

They had an introduction at the shelter and the woman said they get along great. I mean they slept laying on each other so I don't think they hate each other.

Chins don't always react well to stress. The sudden rehomeing and new environment has probably left them on edge. They need a lot of time to adjust to a new place and new people. You might not want to try holding or taking them out for a little while. Let them get used to everything and everyone first so they can relax a little.

Mounting is a dominance display. As long as they are not actually fighting or hurting each other, i wouldn't worry to much. Just keep an eye on them to make sure nothing bad is happening.

How long until I can take them out for playtime? Mind you I have to with a carrying case because the only room that is chin proof currently is my bathroom. I tried to bring them to my bathroom to play today but I couldn't get them in the carrying case and I think i just freaked them out more. Also how do I clean their cage while they are in there? :/

I would think that they need at least a week or two in their cage, getting used to their new surroundings, before you let them out for playtime. Relax and do not be afraid of them - they just need time to adjust (offering dried rosehips from your hand should eventually spark their curiosity and earn their trust). Mounting is not a concern, but do watch them closely and separate them if they start to hurt each other.

Latest posts

Back