New Owner of 4 Year Old Female

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melrosemarieh

I'm on day 3 with my new chinchilla and she is a very good girl, however, I have some concerns. I live in Iowa but I purchased her in Illinois and I fear that the car ride may have traumatized her a bit, is that possible? I also purchased from a breeder and I feel bad because I feel like she thinks I took her away from her previous home, maybe I'm over thinking this, idk. Also, I'm curious as to how many hours I should spend with her, I work 4 - 5 nights a week and when I get off I spend usually about 3 hours with her, but I try to go to bed semi early because I have school in the morning, is that enough time, or should I find another chinchilla for her to play with?

Any time you move any animal they will need some time to adjust to there new environment...shes in a new house, new cage and getting to know you .....even if you are just on the room with the cage chinny will start to get to know you...how is chin when you go near ? does she let you pet her yet ?I would not recommend just going to get another chin because you never know if the introductions will go well plus they could end up fighting some chins have to be separated for life ...just giver her some time to adjust and I am sure she will warm up

My craigslist chin seemed very traumatized at first when we took her home after an hour's drive. Whenever we would walk in the room she would totally freak out and bolt around her cage looking for somewhere to hide.
We took it slow, making sure to be very quiet when we were in the room with her. I would also just sit quietly very close to the cage reading, not paying much attention to her, so that she would slowly get used to me. Eventually, I transitioned to reading allowed to her, putting a finger through the cage bars for her to sniff, opening the cage door and letting my hand rest inside, and then finally being able to pet and hold her. It was a veeeerrrrryyyy painfully slow process, but it was worth it. Now she's by far my most loveable chin.

The only thing you need to be concerned with is that she is eating, drinking, and pooping. Sometimes when they're stressed it will seem like they're not eating or drinking, but as long as they are a little bit, they are fine.

I deal in mostly rescues and they act like life as they knew it is over and done for about a week or so, then most do calm down and accept their new situation. A month is not uncommon so just be patient!

I have 3 girl rescues who have been with me for 3 months and they are just calming down now. They have had quite a life but just this week all 3 are waiting at the cage door for daily hay and twigs. Time does wonders.

I sit by her cage and play some classical music, and try to talk to her but I always run out of things to say..so I'm going to find a book and start reading to her but after that I put a bowl in her cage and let her take a bath and then that's when she normally comes out and I let her roam in her play area so she can get used to the surroundings. Then I put her back in her cage around 11. I liked to find more things with her to play with, but I'm nervous to get a wheel in fear she might break her leg.

Any time you move any animal they will need some time to adjust to there new environment...shes in a new house, new cage and getting to know you .....even if you are just on the room with the cage chinny will start to get to know you...how is chin when you go near ? does she let you pet her yet ?I would not recommend just going to get another chin because you never know if the introductions will go well plus they could end up fighting some chins have to be separated for life ...just giver her some time to adjust and I am sure she will warm up
I hadn't thought of that, thank you! Sometimes she makes angry noises when I go to pet her and I back off right away, she's so small but dang it kind of scares me. Other times shes okay with me, but you can tell she's nervous. I'm just going to have to take things even slower, but i'm sure it will be worth it

As long as you get a wheel that has a solid running surface, she is unlikely to break a leg. Injuries usually come from the wheel that have a wire mess running surface and/or a bar that runs across the opening. Good wheels include the Chin Spin, the Silver Surfer and the Flying Saucer.

Latest posts

Back