New owner Information

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacd061506

Not sure if this would be the right place for this,if not I'm sorry I wasn't quite sure where else it should go.....

For anyone who adopts a rescue or a baby from me I wanted to give them a generalized information packet. I've picked up a few bits and pieces from another rescue in my area's packet and I've got a list of things I know and a few things from here....but I want this to be "right" as most new owners don't know much about caring for chinchillas. So I'm looking for people to place comments on each of the numbered items I have below so I can get a better list going to get my info packet started.

1. Cage Requirements (size, shelving, good brands, ect)

2. Bedding Material (shavings vs fleece..how to use fleece liners)

3. Toys (safe wood for chewing, wheels, ledges/shelves, houses, fleece items, bridges, ect.)

4. Food (best brands, worst brands)

5. Hay (what should be used, what shouldn't be)

6. Treats (safe treats and unsafe treats)

I know all of this has been asked many many times before, but it will help me if it's all in one thread. or if the links to the right original thread could be posted. I appreciate all over your input and advice. I do have to say this is the best site I've found for complete and correct information and I reccomend it to all of the people who adopt from me!

Thanks, I have all of that information already. I was looking more for peoples suggestions to compare to the already "right" information from the FAQ on this site.

The nutrition guide has several brands of food listed including some that I know are not recommended as healthy for chins. So I was looking for someone to list just the best brands.

I'd also like to know which hay is the best to give to chins considering there are a bunch of different kinds out there.

I also can not find an actual list of safe treats, there are many many threads that list good treats but not a specific list (that I can find anyway).

Thanks for your help.

question on the fleece tube they sell. The 10 inch pvc pipe coverd in fleece.

How the heck do they get the fleece to fit that thing?

Thanks for that site...It was excatly what I was looking for!

I would still like peoples opinions on fleece liners verse shavings in the cages, how hard is either to maintain (which is easier in the long run).

i use fleece in my cage. 100times better to deal with. with just shavings in the cage, it all ended up on the floor mainly.
now i have the fleece and small baking dishes of aspen bedding in each level of the cage.
and it's much easier to take care of, doesn't end up on the floor really.
and you can vaccuum up the poos everyday off the fleece.

I also prefer the fleece liner over the bedding. My chin uses a litter pan, and the fleece is easy to care for and there is no bedding mess that constantly attacks my vacuum cleaner. I used to use aspen bedding, and now I only use it in the litter box.

I use aspen and to be entirely honest, the clean up process is a pain if you don't have Bass Pans for the cage. Shavings cling to everything even with the pans, which is an issue that you don't run into with fleece. I used fleece with Nixi for a few months while I was handfeeding her and thought the clean-up process was much simpler even though the liners needed to be changed more frequently (2x/week from what I understand). In my opinion, aspen masks urine odor the best, fleece is in the middle and pine is the worst. As soon as I have some extra money to stock up on liners for both cages, I'll be switching to fleece.

Latest posts

Back