New mom....separation anxiety?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srlampron

poop hunter/gatherer
Hi everyone!

I just adopted my second chinchilla today. She is just over a year old and had her first litter of two kits this past summer. He previous owner decided that three chins was too many so they kept the babies and put her up for adoption.

Her breathing seems excellerated, she's a nervous wreck and she has tried to squeeze out of her cage and gotten her her stuck so many times that we spent hours adding wire mesh to it everywhere so she cannot hurt herself.

I suspect she is anxious because she is missing her babies and is trying to get to them anyway she can.

What can I do to help her to not be so anxious? I can't stand watching this. I intend to call her previous family in the morning to let them know that I believe she is not ready to be away from her kits. Is this a good idea? Should I give her more time? I am not sure if she can go into shock from the stress.

Help!

She is still anxious this morning and looking to escape her cage. She has stopped trying to wriggle out of any gap in her cage she can find. I think she is resting somewhat, although not with complete abandon like Lilly does. If you open her cage she tries to bolt. Should I call her previous owner? Should I give her more time? What's best for Dorie in this situation? I'm afraid she will go into shock from the stress.

She isn't going to go into shock. She is just upset with her new surroundings. She will calm down. She should be weaned from her kits no matter what, especially if one is a male. Just give her time and talk to her as much as possible. Do NOT try to take her out for a long time. Look at the FAQ's for new owners to help you get her used to you

Ok, thank you. I went through the "learn to trust that I won't eat you" phases with Lilly and am more than willing to do that with Thea as well. I have no experience with mommy chins though. Her anxiety level last night was scary for all of us.

The kits were weaned. I was afraid she's just drive herself crazy looking for them. Thea is very interested in Lilly. So that's a good sign. But, Lilly has been giving Thea the stink eye since she got here. That is drama for another day.

I was so worried. I checked on her many times last night just to be sure she settled down a bit. Thank you for easing my mind. Now I have something that I can work with. I remember this part. THANK YOU!!!

Don't worry :) As long as she has

1. safe environment (nothing to jump into and fracture bones - so probably no outside time for a long while),

2. bed for retreat with perhaps a screen of cloth to hide behind, leave a gap of an inch for ventilation.

3. After a few days of minimal disturbance and some towels over the cage follow with Gentle chats and attention through the cage bars with healthy treats or less hazardous ones like ryvita or wheat shreddies.

-> She'll be fine, most importantly you're already the caring owner she needs to dote over her! So just keep an eye on her general condition and allow her to freak out within safe confines :)

Is her cage brand new or already hers? Sometimes old scents can freak them out :)

Her having kits makes no difference, she would act that way in a new home reguardless. Some chins just get really stressed in new places, its not uncommon. Just give her time to adjust. She also shouldn't be close to your other chin just incase she is sick, which you can't always tell at first.

Or she could just be a very high strung chin that may never settle down. Leaving her babies probably has nothing to do with it though.

She is in a our cage because her kits stayed in their old cage. i cleaned it out thoroughly before she came home. She has a new bowl, hay pot, lava ledge and chew toys.

I put a large mason/pickle jar in the cage for her and she loves it. She can't seem to decide if it is her dust house of a hide house so she does both. She rolls and digs in it like a dust house and then curls up to sleep. There's no dust in it, but she seems happy pretending.

She is in the same room with Lilly but they are separated by a lot of space. They can see each other across the room. But there is no contact. I will try putting a towel over her cage for privacy because she doesn't sleep nearly as much as Lilly does. It seems Dori is up all day and night.

I have been talking to her and offering the oats that worked so well with Lilly. Trying to break Dori's raisin addiction which is adorable but not a good thing. Again thank you all for your insight and knowledge. Its great knowing you are all here for us.

Dori is still kind of a wreck. She is jumpy, shy and not too trusting. When we go near her she acts like she wants a scritch, but won't let us touch her. She really only wants snacks.

Is she lonely? I know Lilly is not ready for a new roomie. Its too soon anyway, so what can I do? I made Dori a stuffed friend to snuggle with. She just pushes him off her shelf. She cowers on the dark corner alone. I'm at a loss. I feel like I should have left her where she was. She seemed happy there.

-from Tapatalk mobile

Every chin is different. As JAGS said, she just may be high strung. Give her time to settle in. That can take weeks, not a few days. Just keep talking to her, being around her, letting her get used to you. She may never be as friendly as your one chin, but different is okay too. She may be a lot of fun to watch more than interact with. I have some like that, some that like scritches, some that don't, some that want held, some that think I'm trying to kill them when I hold them. Different chins, different personalities.

That's true. Dori does act like I'm trying to eat her. She's a lot of fun to watch. I think we will enjoy that for now and hope she settles in with more time.

Thank you!

-from Tapatalk mobile

Back