New Lixit Valve Water Bottles at PetSmart!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angelyco

Fur Flavored
I had JUST ordered one of these from bunnyrabbit.com a few days ago (along with a Nivek bottle) and paid out the wazoo for shipping. This weekend I was in a different PetSmart than my usual and saw these in the store with a "New Item" tag. I kicked myself a little bit, but I thought I'd share the news.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11180183

I know Lixit has another plastic valve bottle, but it was ugly and attached to the cage with more plastic.

I hope this helps people who wanted to try out the valve bottles, since the Nivek ones are harder to come by and WaterBuddies are only available in 8 oz. Plus no shipping if you can find it in your local store :))

$14 for a 600 mL bottle? Whew... Though I've noticed with my Nivek bottles that one of them (the larger 12 oz) has a loose seal around the valve, causing a leak. My guys clearly prefer a valve to the sipper tube, so I might have to wait until I get a coupon or something and order this one.

I saw that when looking ofr a new water bottle and i almost got it but i didn't know about how well they work with it being a fill top i was worried about not enough suction.
let me know how well it works

plus my chin has always had the water bottle with the ball and this is like a tiny stick in the middle so i didn't know if she would take to it

Last edited:
i almost got it but i didn't know about how well they work with it being a fill top i was worried about not enough suction.

That's the nice thing about valve type bottles. You don't have to worry about "losing suction" b/c gravity and surface tension do the work. As long as the water level in the bottle is higher than the top of the valve, they just tap the little wire with their teeth to drink.

plus my chin has always had the water bottle with the ball and this is like a tiny stick in the middle so i didn't know if she would take to it

From what I've seen on here, it takes chins a few hours at most to figure it out when switching from the ball ones. I just put the new one in the cage so we'll see how long it takes them. Most people have posted that once they give their chins the valve bottles, they won't touch the ball ones anymore.

I would try these but my chinnies chew plastic water bottles. My superpet glass bottles leak like heck though so I'm looking for a new kind to try.

I would try these but my chinnies chew plastic water bottles. My superpet glass bottles leak like heck though so I'm looking for a new kind to try.

I have one of these, and I love it....so far no leaks, and it attaches on the outside, so the chins can't chew. http://www.petworldshop.com/lixit/glass-water-bottles.php ETA: The brand I have is actually All Living Things, but I cannot find it on the web anywhere. From the looks of the one I listed, though, it seems pretty similar.

I would have one for both chins, but when I went back they were out. I got a Super Pet instead, which I'm not happy with (water flow isn't good, but I lost the receipt so can't take it back).

Last edited:
Good luck finding a Water Buddy these days. :( I like the Nivek bottles so far, though one has developed a leak (I think b/c he chewed the rubber around the valve where the guard didn't quite cover it). If you're interested in one of them, let me know. I have a catalog from a company that doesn't rip you on shipping like BunnyRabbit.com I can send to you.

mortonjones.com also carries these type of bottles. It doesn't take chins long to use them, heck, my two week old chicks just learned how to use one. lol.

I'd try these..but I don't understand how they get water out. It looks like it would just shoot out continually and they just hold open their mouth and try to dodge eye-shots. (could you picture that..rofl)
I saw someone say they 'tap' it. I might have to get one for my own curiosity. The LFS sells small animal products and has some nice water bottle guards.. my chins don't chew the water bottles, but I wouldn't mind picking up a guard if they chewed this.

It doesn't shoot out like that. Basically, it's a little rod directly in the middle of the pipe. Any time the rod gets pushed off-center, up/down/etc, a little bit of water dribbles out. It's not much at all for each push, but definitely enough.

It took my girls awhile to figure it out, it looks like they didn't use it all day, but once I sat Pearl in front of it and kept showing her that water comes out of it, she understood and started using it. I'm still watching to see if Diamond knows how to use it or not. I'm not denying them of the other bottle yet, I offered it a few times just in case they weren't getting any water at all, but I'm not leaving it in the cage so they are encouraged to use the valve bottle.

I have one of these and it's OK but not nearly as good as the water buddies were. The valve is great. the top has a flip top that makes it easy to re-fill (but really you should be taking it down to clean once it's empty). But the top will leak if tipped. there's no rubber gasket in th lid to stop water from getting out so unlike water buddies they're not good travel bottles.

I wish I'd stocked up one more water buddies while they were still easy to find :( and wish It's gottne more of the gaurds for them too.

Good luck finding a Water Buddy these days. :( I like the Nivek bottles so far, though one has developed a leak (I think b/c he chewed the rubber around the valve where the guard didn't quite cover it). If you're interested in one of them, let me know. I have a catalog from a company that doesn't rip you on shipping like BunnyRabbit.com I can send to you.

are the Nivek glass?
How do you hang them? inside or outside the cage? I was looking at them on-line and it was hard to tell.
I'm intereswted in them (not that I need more water bottles right now but I's love to find glass valve bottles because I think they seem more hygenic over the long run than plasitc.

The Nivek ones are plastic and hang outside the cage.

I'm not sure if any glass valve bottles exist...all of the ones I've seen are top-fill, which I don't think glass would work for.

this is the one I was looking at and it looks glass but it's hard to tell
nivek5.5Flip.jpg

these are claerly plastic
nivek16.jpg

They're a hard plastic like the Nalgene human water bottles. I haven't seen any chewing on the actual bottles that I have, though the lids have been nibbled where the guard didn't cover them. I'd LOVE a glass valve bottle too, but I don't know of any on the market.

I have the Edstrom water buddy for Idgie that I love. She got the hang of it right away. Doesn't drip. I did buy a metal guard for it because even though they hang outside the cage, a chin can somehow manage to get a few bites in.

Don't know if this bottle will fit the guard that I have, but for a back-up, it might be worth it to get one. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back