New Law re: animal sales in Illinois

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may be reading it wrong, but from what I understand the new law requires them to give this information, asked or not. Before, you had to ask to get the information so people didn't know to ask and would often get the information after the sale was final.

This is somewhat nice, but I don't see how it will help things any. I can see more people saying they can breed their pet store chinchillas because they know their DOB and the breeder.

My guess is this is mainly for puppy and kitten sales (?)

I'm not current what the laws are in my state except that the puppy stores now have to post where each puppy came from. Usually it is MO or some other midwest state where a lot of the mills are. This only deters people from buying if they know where the mills are or they question why the pups aren't local.

I wonder if EVERY little detail about their health history has to be provided such as hernias, loose knees, kennel cough, pneumonia, worms etc (?)

Edit to add : When I worked in a pet store many years ago, we got most of our hamsters, guinea pigs etc from local people but other times they came through our tropical fish provider. My guess is they were from rodent mills as they were not always in the best condition upon arrival

Last edited:
Back