New Kitten, needs some help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I name her?

• Winnie

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Bea

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Tess

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters

rbarile92

Hey guys!
I have never posted on the other pet forum so I figured I would because this is the only pet forum that I go onto! So fellow chins and hedgies owners! I hope some of you have cats because I need some help!

I just got a baby kitten. She is 8 weeks old and was a barn cat. When I went to go look at her, she was in a small barn with her mother and other siblings. So, I knew she wasn't going to be the best when it comes to socialization but I fell in love with her. I brought her home and she seemed fine. She wasn't the friendliest with me and my family, but it was her first night home.

All night she cried. I'm not sure if it was because she is just a baby and it was her first night without her mom? I ended up bringing her into my room and I sang to her and rubbed behind her ears and she finally fell asleep.

I tried playing with her today, with my fingers because I have had cats before so I know how much they like biting on people. But, whenever I put my fingers in front of her and wiggle them she shakes. So I played with a small string and she seemed fine with that. So I am just going to try to take it slow with her.

I also have a 1 and 1/2 year old chihuahua terrier that is the sweetest dog I have ever met. You can tell that he wants to see the kitten and that he wants to play with her. She also wants to see the dog, and will go near him when he isn't looking but freaks out when the dog pursues her.

She also hasn't used the bathroom yet. Since she was a barn cat, I don't think she knows what a litter box is. I don't know how I should lure her into the litter box because it has been almost a day now and she hasn't peed or pooped at all. What should I do about that?

Should I wait to have the dog and kitten start interacting with each other or no? How do I make her stop crying at night, or will she ever stop eventually? If I try to play with her everyday do you think she will come around to me and everyone else in the family?

DSCN0328.jpg
DSCN0319.jpg

She sounds scared. You need to take it SLOW. Try to look at things from her perspective. Her world has been turned upside down. She should be confined to one room with her litter box or food. She is too young to remember where a litter box is free roaming a house. Place her within her litterbox several times a day to remind her. Don't expect play or acceptance of your dog until she has adjusted some more.

What a cutie! I'd keep her away from the dog as much as possible for now. Dogs = predator to most small animals, so she'll need more time to get used to him. I'd also start her out w/ dirt rather than clay litter in her litter box. She didn't have a litter box in the barn, so even though she wants to bury her waste, she probably won't associate the box w/ the place to do it. If she doesn't go soon, I'd take a warm wet wash rag and clean her belly and bottom to help her go, like Mom probably was at the barn. Doing that over the litter box can help teach her where she should and shouldn't pee/poop. As far as playing/toys, try a stemmy piece of hay from the chinchillas' bag. She's had to have had grass etc. to play with before, and a little bit of non-threatening playtime can be a good way to start bonding w/ her. (My former feral still likes to steal stemmy pieces from the trash can and swat them around the kitchen floor. Or chew at them a while and then leave them on my pillow so I can see what a good hunter she is...) The most important thing for her other than making sure she doesn't have worms etc. is to give her time and a regular schedule so she can adjust to being indoor only.

Plop her in the litter box multiple times a day and make digging motions for her with her front paws. This has worked with all three of my kittens in enticing them to go to the bathroom. She'll catch on!

Missed my edit time.

I also wanted to add if she happens to have an accident outside of the litter box, scoop it up and put it into her litter. That way she can associate her litter box with bathroom.

She sounds scared. You need to take it SLOW. Try to look at things from her perspective. Her world has been turned upside down. She should be confined to one room with her litter box or food. She is too young to remember where a litter box is free roaming a house. Place her within her litterbox several times a day to remind her. Don't expect play or acceptance of your dog until she has adjusted some more.

I agree with CTChin....we got a kitten from a barn as well and kept her in the bathroom with her food and litter box until she was older. She was too small to let roam the house and she wouldn't remember where her litter was.... as well, with her being so small god only knows where she will get into to go to the bathroom. If she's in a confined space with her essentials, she will have time to adjust, learn the ropes, be tamed a bit and then you can introduce her to the dog.

Hope it all goes well - she's adorable!

Just wanted to say I agree with the advice given as it's what I would do too. However if she's crying I would comfort her like you did last night. When we got a single kitten I would spend a lot of time just reading a book in the room he was in for company since he was not used to being alone. Also congratulations on the new addition as those pictures are very cute.

I have 2 cats, had 3, and each of them was a kitten born to a stray momma that hangs around on my property. The first summer, I brought in one who was approximately 5 or 6 weeks old, and I think he caught on to the catbox quickly. As already stated, you just put them in the box, dig some, and they usually get the idea. I continued to put him in it several times a day, and big time praise him when he used it. With my other 2 stray kittens, I had them watch the older kitty use the box and they got the idea just as quickly on how to use it. Stray kitties or barn kitties have had less social interaction, and it takes a bit more time and patience for them to be comfortable in their new surroundings and with people.

When we brought our first two kitties homes over 20 years ago, they came from a farm. We brought them home really tiny because the farmer was afraid they would get stepped on by the cows. We thought they were using their litter box because we found some poo and pee in there. It wasn't until one day I sat on the floor and smelled something that I realized all wasn't well. They were sometimes going behind and under the couch to go. That is why it is important to keep them in one room.

It is risky mixing a tiny kittens with adults due to their territorial nature. Some cats need an adjustment period. Also the little one need to be tested for feline leuk and aids and dewormed before socializing with other family cats.

It is risky mixing a tiny kittens with adults due to their territorial nature. Some cats need an adjustment period. Also the little one need to be tested for feline leuk and aids and dewormed before socializing with other family cats.

It is and can be. I know when I brought home my 2nd kitten, when my male was over a year old, he didn't like her at all. I had to make sure I was with them if they were in the same room. But I made sure my male got equal attention from me as the kitten did, and after a rough couple of weeks, he began to accept her and now they are inseperable.

Latest posts

Back