New Hedgie Owner! (:

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMedina96

I just got my very first baby hedgehog Tuesday! Meet Hazard :) He is about two and a half months old. I've been trying to spend as much time as I can with him (in the 2 days I've had him), I want him to be used to being handled and learn to be comfy with me. He's a little nervous and sketchy and he's bitten me a couple times.. But I'm hoping it's just because he doesn't know me.. Any tips on helping him settle in? I've tried treating him with meal worms but so far he doesn't seem to have a taste for them. So I've just kind of stuck to laying with him on the couch or on my bed. Hoping this hedgie settles in soon! :)

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 22
I know someone with experience and expertise will be along with advice for you. I must say your baby is just adorable!!!!

Just continue to spend time with him. If you aren't already put him on a schedule. Hedgehogs do really well when they know when to expect things to happen.

He's only been with you a couple of days, it can take some a while to settle down fully. Keep in mind he is still trying to figure out where he is, who you are, can you be trusted, and what is going on.

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to you and young Hazard!

I'd also recommend creating a schedule for him and sticking to it as best as possible -- maybe a bit of snuggletime in the morning as he's getting ready to sleep for the day and a nice big snuggletime in the evening as he's getting up and ready to run around during the night time.

About the biting - yes, familiarity with you should help. Or you might taste yummy or smell funny to him - best thing I can suggest to help address those possibilities is to wash up before going to play with him. Choose a soap that is does not have much of a scent to it.

Sounds like you're doing it just right with letting him settle down on/near you on the couch or bed... Just having him near you, getting used to how you smell and sound and the kinds of moves you make is great. If he'll allow it, you can stroke his quills. If not, just being nearby while he naps under a blankie on your lap or belly works wonders. Some of my favorite times are just lying back on the couch with hedgie sitting on my belly... all sprawled out and content.

About the mealies -- keep trying - whether its every day or every couple of days. He'll probably catch on by himself. But don't worry if he doesn't quite yet. He's still a little fella in a situation that's completely new to him.

Thanks so much everyone! I'll definitely take y'alls advice and get him on a schedule and keep trying with the mealies. I think he's a sweetheart for the most part so far, I can't wait till he gets settled and comfy with me! :)

Have you tried putting the mealies in his cage with him at night yet? Sometimes they are a bit shy at first and won't take them from you. But if left in their cage, they will try and get "a taste" for them.

I tried putting them in his cage first, but he just left them there. He ate a cat treat from me yesterday, but wont touch the meal worms I thought he'd love!

Also, what kind of water dishes do you guys use? Because I used a bowl for him the first day and he drank it up. But I bought a water bottle that hangs on the side of the cage and it doesn't look like he's touched it for days..

I use glass bowls made for human use with mine. Bowls are by far the better option than a bottle.

For water - ceramic ramekins. Ideally, the humans would be eating creme brulee out of them; instead, hedgies drink water out of them. Ah well...

They don't like water bottles typically, it's all about using a bowl. Mine HATES water but has no problem stepping in her dish to drink

Back