New Hedgie Never Socialized

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

chelsealynnm

My boy is about a year and three months and unfortunately hasn't been socialized much at all. He's okay if we come up to the cage or clean out his liter box, feed him etc. However if you try to handle him he growls, rolls up in a ball, sticks out his quills. Is there anything I can do to make him more relaxed? I've been trying to let him just sniff my hand for a few minutes then I leave him be.

I know its a slow process, and you can't completely domesticate them, but to just have him accept me and maybe even hold him at some point would be great. But I obviously don't want to stress him out or anything. But any tips you guys have would be great!

His personality may have nothing at all to do with how much or little he was socialized. Some hedgehogs, regardless of how much they were socialized want nothing to do with being held. It's not their personality.

If you have got him in the last month or so, he may just need more time to get used to you and comfortable in his new home and family.

Get him out with you while watching TV and put him on you under a small blanket or dish towel. Talk quietly to him and let him get used to you. He may come around, or he may be one that just wants to run around and not be handled.

Sergio became tame

I used to have a boy hedgie called Sergio. I adopted him from a person on craigslist when he was 1 year old. First, I didn't know how to deal with him and scared of him when he became a bawl. I used to use a small shovel-like tool for gardening to pick him up... lol.

I have many chins, so I couldn't give him enough attention. I am a very good chin parent, at least i try, but to this hedgie, I was not satisfied with my devotion to him. So, I contacted this nice person called Charity at Hedgie Rescue (she is the ANGEL, I mean real ANGeL for hedgies!!!) who would do EVERYTHING to assure that her foster hedgies go to the best new home.

My hedgie was adopted to a moving pet zoo and now is a star petted by kids and adults!

I felt so guilty and ashamed..."How can I give up my hedgie to a rescue...I am a terrible and irresponsible person....", and cried, when this nice lady came to pick Sergio up.
She said "Thank you for letting him go. He deserves the world of attention. You are doing a good thing by letting him go so that he would become happier."

I told her over and over that I had not been a good owner.
But, she told me the kindest words a few days after by email. Hedgies just don't get this sweet and tame. You did a great job raising a sweet hedgie. Sergio is the sweetest boy, and I almost wanted to keep him. But, he is also very active and loves attention. So, he would love to be center of attention.
She adopted him out to this pet zoo because he was so sweet and could be held by anybody. I read her email over and over and everytime I read her email, I tear up.

BTW, I visited Sergio when he debuted at his first moving petting zoo event in an October Fest. I didn't tell the owner of the zoo that I was his first mom.
But, I teared up again when I heard this woman announced and introduced him to the people, "This is SERGIO". He goes by the name that I gave him.
He was kind of restless in the zoo, but many people were taking him out of the cage and played with him on their laps.

Come to think about it, what I did that would made Sergio tame and sweet were;
1) letting him loam around my bed with me;
2) keep him on my desk when I work on my computer (watch him not to fall);
3) took him to work when I needed to work weekends (although he only loam around on my desk a bit and would find a place to fall a sleep all day); and
4) I tried to get him out while I clean cages.

Here is the pic. (The last pic is Sergio in February this year, looking at snow outside). Good luck! Sorry, I am not a hedgie expert, but wanted to share how I might have been successful raising a sweet hedgie.

Attachments

• Sergio Zoo2.jpg
    Sergio Zoo2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Sergio Zoo1.jpg
    Sergio Zoo1.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Sergio zoo3.jpg
    Sergio zoo3.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Sergio2.jpg
    Sergio2.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 26
Yea I got him off craigslist this past Sunday (probably should have included this, silly me) and the guy said he got him from another person so the poor thing has bounced from home to home and I can't blame him for not wanting to be touched or anything but I'm hoping with time he might come around. I mean I'm not going to be mad at him if he doesn't but it would be nice to have him sit in my lap or something once in awhile.

I would recommend just scooping him up with a towel and sitting with him on your lap for about 15-30 minutess when you sit down, maybe to watch tv. It would probably be best if it was dim and quiet.

I've handled my hedgehog for at least a few minutes a day and she definitely isn't scared like she used to be. She still huffs a little but its rare for her to even go into a ball (unless she really wants to sleep :p).

also what might help is trying to hold him when its around the time he likes to eat, and then offer a small treat or kibble if he unrolls from his ball, positive reinforcement!

Okay cool, I thought about doing something like this but I figured I would ask you guys first! haha. I'm like a first time mom I wanna do everything right haha. :cute:

I have a 5 month old hedgie who huffs all the time. I don't think she was socialized much either. She huffs even when I walk by her cage! I am going to slowly work with handling her a little everyday. Today after holding her I put her back and she went crazy running circles in her cage! Any other suggestions? She doesn't curl in a ball but just wants to run away.

Thanks

Sometimes they just don't want to be held. Try different times of the day, a quieter place where you both can hang out, and different lengths of time. You may find something that works well or she may just really want to be more the running type (in which case a playpen with some toys can be a good bonding opportunity).

Back