New Hedgie Mommy :)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hedgies do love their wheels!! Just my opinion (not sure if its correct or not) but you might want to limit her wheel time. She needs to be concentrating on growing and gaining weight :) I didn't introduce a wheel to my hoglets until 5.5 weeks and then they didn't have unlimited use until 6 weeks. But I am also a worry wort and obsessed with weights lol!

I'm scared if I take it out she won't get any exercise except when I bring her out. If it wasn't for the wheel she would just lay in her little stick hut. But I might just put it in every other night.

Or maybe just allow her access for a couple hours a night until she is older??? Like I said though, this is just my opinion and I have no fact to back it up. :)

Since she shouldn't even be away from mom at this point, I would take the wheel away for a week or so and let her concentrate on gaining weight. Then let her have the wheel for a limited time each day. You want her to have the best advantage on gaining and developing, not all her energy going into exercising.

Ok. Her wheel is gone. I already fed her when I got home from work around 4 and I'm going to feed her again at 10. I weighed her in grams and it said 57 grams. Good/Bad/Normal? lol

I'm moving this thread to hedgehog breeding and babies. While it does contain and intro the thread has gone into taking care of a very young hedgehog. I think it will get more attention there.

Ok. Her wheel is gone. I already fed her when I got home from work around 4 and I'm going to feed her again at 10. I weighed her in grams and it said 57 grams. Good/Bad/Normal? lol
57grams is kind of low but considering that she was taken from mom too early, I wouldn't worry. What you want to see is her continuing to gain. Weigh her at the same time daily and mark down if the weight is before or after she has gone potty. :)

Looking at her pictures, are you sure the scale is accurate? I would have put her around 80 grams give or take a few.

I just weighed her again tonight and she's definitely 62 grams. I'm feeding her twice a day; 4pm and 10pm. I included a picture of how much she eats each time.

5dqfxd.jpg

I'm going to start waking her up in the morning before work and feeding her then as well. I'm gradually going to switch from the Iams to the Royal Canin. I only used Iams because that's what the girl was the using that I got her from.

Here are the results since the fourth when I first got the scale:

Jan 4th: 57 grams
Jan 5th: 59 grams
Jan 6th: 62 grams

I weighed her after I fed her at 10pm. I did take her wheel out but I woke up this morning and she was crawling on top of her hut haha so I'm pretty sure she misses her wheel.

That's an okay amount for one feeding but she should be eating that amount numerous times a day. Do you leave food in the cage for her and does she eat on her own?

The weight gain is okay and should start to speed up any time now.

The lady I got her from was doing it once a day, once I got all the information about the weight gain on here, I uped her feeding. I left the same amount in her cage last night and she had it all eatten. So I fed her again this morning, she didn't eat too much so I filled a bigger lid with food and stuck it in there. It's about 4"x4" and deeper than the one from last night.

Back