new hedgie died

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandcastles

I just got my hedgie 8 days ago. Tonight I came to get her for some holding time and she was wrapped into the flannel I had in her cage. When I unwrapped her she was gasping for breath. I tried to get her to drink water and Gatorade using a syringe, but about 10 minutes later she was gone.
She was suppose to be 8 weeks old when I got her. The man sold me some pellets and said to soak them in water for a few weeks, which I did. I have to say I saw her drinking water, but her food intake was small. I feel so bad about this. I plan on contacting the breeder tomorrow. Do you think he will replace her, or is this a completely silly idea on my part. I feel that I should have tried more on my part to try to get her to eat, but I really didn't think it was a major problem. Opinions, please.

Not eating much for the first couple of days in a new home is quite common but by day 3 if they aren't eating much, they need to start being syringe fed and things done to encourage them to eat on their own. FLD can start by day 3 of not eating.

It depends on the breeders health guarantee if he will replace her. Often a necropsy is needed.

I'm sorry for your loss. Loosing a pet is always difficult, no matter how long you have had them for.

Are you talking about food pellets? Do you mean feed the hedgehog soaked pellets for a few weeks or feed them pellets that have been soaking for weeks. Why did he say to feed your hedgehog water soaked pellets?

The man sold me some pellets and said to soak them in water for a few weeks

If the breeder is a good one, they will at least consider giving you a replacement. However, you will probably have to prove that the hedgehog didn't die from negligence.

I was to soak the pellets right before I fed her for a few weeks after I bought her because I guess she was young and the softenend pellets would be easier for her to eat. He also gave me a container of super worms, which I never gave her because nowhere did I read to feed superworms, just meal worms. I had looked at hedgies at another vendor that said to feed cat food, but this gentleman said that was wrong and if I wanted the hedgie to live longer, pellets was the correct choice. I am beginning to wonder just how knowledgeable he was. He said he was USDA approved and he had a huge booth which made me think he was a good breeder and had been doing this for awhile. This hedgie was very sweet, but spent most of the time sleeping.
I just wonder if she was to young-- she fit in the palm of my hand.

Softened pellets are easier to eat but if a baby is old enough to go to a new home, they should be able to eat normal kibble. Sometimes breaking it up a bit is easier for them.

What kind of pellets?

I don't know the kind of pellets because they were being sold in bulk.
They look like a star with a hole in the center if that is any help.

Good news, I am getting a replacement hedgie. Of course, I will never forget my Abigail.
I thought she was so cool and loveable. We would have made a great pair. Another man who knows the person I bought her from said they are selling them too young. Also, he is a broker, not a breeder like I originally thought.

That is great. By any chance did you get her from a flea market in Illinois? There is a guy there that sells too young.

Poor little Abigail. Are you getting the new one from the same place? If so, make sure this new one is able to eat. I can help you with that. Royal Canin Baby Cat is a good food for babies as it is very small easy to eat pieces and gives them the extra fat growing bodies need.

Can't wait to hear about the new one.

Edited to add: If you did get her from Illinois, there were a couple of people trying to gather evidence against that guy to shut him down. You may want to join in.

I did get my hedgie from an All Animal Expo in Wheaton, Il. This man could sell at flea markets, I just don't know. Wonder if it is the same person. Now, you have my curiosity up.
Yes, I am getting it from the same person. He is replacing the original hedgie.
I am actually afraid to try again, but here I go. I hope to pick it up in a few days.
As for the kitten food, I was told to feed only hedgehog food. Whose infomation is correct ? What do exotic vets recommend ?

I don't own a hedgies but I have seen that most hedgies don't even like the hedgie food, and most people recommend the cat food above :] Good luck with your hedgie!

Most hedgehog foods are made from inappropriate ingredients (Vitakraft and Brown's for example), others are made from lower quality ingredients (by-products). You'll find that the majority of us, on these forums, feed a high quality, low fat cat kibble (my vet also recommends this), and supplement their diets with fresh fruits, cooked vegetables and insects.

There is a listing at the top of the diet & nutrition forum (2 actually) of foods that we feed our little ones.

A vet check will be a good idea since you are getting another hedgie from the same source as Abigail. AS for an exotic vet recommendation, this depends entirely on where you live.

There are some good vet referrals at www.hedgehogwelfare.org and they are listed by area.

I did get my hedgie from an All Animal Expo in Wheaton, Il. This man could sell at flea markets, I just don't know. Wonder if it is the same person. Now, you have my curiosity up.
Yes, I am getting it from the same person. He is replacing the original hedgie.
I am actually afraid to try again, but here I go. I hope to pick it up in a few days.
As for the kitten food, I was told to feed only hedgehog food. Whose infomation is correct ? What do exotic vets recommend ?

I go to that animal expo, too. I know EXACTLY who you are talking about.

Interesting that you go to the same expo. So if you know who I am talking about what do you think of him ? I just talked to him a few minutes ago and am picking up my replacement tomorrow. I don't go to that show ( only been there twice) often. I only went this last time because I was attending the bird show.

Darn it! Was the bird show "across the street"? I really want to get some stone ledges from Bird On The Rocks without having to pay the shipping. Personally, I think that hedgie guy is simply a salesman. He is selling an item. When I talk to him about the hedgies I get the feeling I may know more about them than him and I know little about hedgies, only what I read here by chance. I think many of the sellers at that Animal Expo are simply trying to earn a living. Though there are a few who I think are truly knowledgeable and take good care of their animals. Did you see the guy who sells the Sugar Gliders? :wacko:

Yes, the bird show across the way from the All Animal. I do not think the Bird on the Rock guy was there. He is not at as many shows as he use to be. He was at the TASC show in May.
I agree that the man is a salesman. I thought he was a breeder, but now know he is a broker and buys the hedgies elsewhere.
I saw the guy with the sugar glider sign around his neck.
I have had a sg and would not want another one. Talked to two other people at the show that day that said they would not want a sg for a pet.

I'm sorry that your little one passed.

If you end up getting another hedgie from the same person, I definitely second what Kalandra and charlie wrote: get the little one checked out by a vet and use high quality cat kibbles.

That said, based on your first experience, your little one might be a tad on the young side, so I might go with a food that's nutritionally not at the top of the list (though is still on the okay side of things - unlike "hedgehog food" or "supermarket/generic cat food" that's essentially garbage), but is a great size and shape for babies: Royal Canin Baby Cat.

As your little one grows, I'd make sure to mix in the really good stuff like Wellness or Innova or Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul. And I'd transition from the regular versions to the "lite" or "weight control" or "indoor cat" versions. But I have a feeling that won't be until a bit down the road ;)

Let us know how it goes!

Latest posts

Back