New Guinea Pig sick-advice needed

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nancy S

Well, my daughter and i bought a sick guinea pig from the pet shop! ugh!:hair: Anyways, we bought him 3 days ago(and we were noticing a heavy breathing-and said something to the sales associate---he said the "rosette" type gp's are more nervous than the smooth ones). To note: he has 3 different colors and we "had" to have him--so cute! Well, he's being treated right now (left over) at the pet shop vet (banfield) and we will be getting him back tomorrow or next. He weighed 14 ounces (i weighed him) and he felt too boney. He was eating/pooing/peeing fine. I gave him :acidophilus/mixed with vit.c/and pedialyte--the 2 full days i had him. (syringe method). He seems to gobble (or rather attack) the syringe but, i did get the job done. I also have gotten on the GP lynx forum--but, seems frustrating finding what i need to know (i ended up looking at cute fleece snuggle bags with adorable gp pics.!!hehe)--so here's where i need the help from my fellow forum friends: When little "Morris" gets back do i give--critical care? Pedialyte? Xtra C (i bought drops from online-when we bought him)? Xtra parsley (vegs)? Alfalfa hay vs. timothy? (for weight gain) Dyne or lifeline? (i have it all here). They are giving him going to give him an oral antibiotic my daughter said. She took him up there early today. (also, to mention he had a little white discharge in the corner of one eye)
Well, thank you all so very much (ahead of time) for helping--you guys are great!!!:thumbsup:

I'm sure the Vet will give you some follow-up instructions with the antibiotics, but you can continue to give him fresh greens and different types of hay, everyday. I wouldn't give him alfalfa alone ..he's a little old for that.. but mix it up with timothy and orchard, etc. Piggers LOVE hay ..and he'll graze all hours of the day, if he has a source.

Ask your vet about giving him the Lifeline, first. Also, ask him about Calf Manna pellets. (I still give my skinny boy, Phoenix, some Calf Manna sprinkled on his Oxbow.. but keep in mind, Phoenix is a Chin'kid, so that's why I suggest asking your Vet.) You can go on the forum linked at Cavy Spirit, as well.. just be prepared ..ahem. LOL

The line about "the "rosette" type gp's are more nervous than the smooth ones" ..is not true, btw. Pigs are nervous creatures ..no matter their hairstyle ....they are prey items and they KNOW it. It can take a few days, or weeks.. and in some cases, a few months.. to get a pig to open up and trust you enough to pet them, even. They are just scare'y little folks. Be patient ..don't get frustrated ..and be patient some more ;)

Good Luck!

I would give some Bene-Bac instead of Acidophilus. My vet prefers the Bene-Bac because GP's are sensitive to sugar. Also, be cautious with the veggies- his stomach may be a bit more irritable after being in so many different environments. The Bene-Bac will help though. I give the powder form- I roll wet veggies in it to make sure they can't NOT eat it. Lol.

I just rescued a pair of pigs a few months ago and am learning SO much about them! Haha.

guinealynx.info is a great website, full of medical advice and general diet care. The forum is a bit disorganised though!

try here for care and diet info:
http://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html

and here can help you assess what might be wrong:
http://www.guinealynx.info/normal.html

Vit C drops are pretty much useless, you're better off giving 1-2 cups of fresh veg per day for his vitamin intake. Parsely, kale, baby salad leaves are all good. Critical care can help to give extra fibre and vits. Timmy hay is good, but I would only give a very small amount of alfalfa hay, infrequently if at all. Too much calcium is to be avoided.

The white discharge in the eye is probably just grooming fluid:
http://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html#discharge

good luck with the wee piggy.

Latest posts

Back