New friend for smokey! :)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokeymylovingchinchilla

Hey there all as you know i got a chinchilla names smokey and even though i do play with him a couple hours everyday i heard they do better in pairs,so I've been emailing people around CL and even Brenda who lives in Wisconsin same as me. I hopefully at one point will have a brand new playmate for smokey,i'll keep ya'll posted.

peace

How long have you had him? You might want to let him settle in for a while and bond with you before you get another... Chins are not additive work. They are exponential.

Chins are not additive work. They are exponential.

Ain't it the truth? :pillowfight:

To the OP, I just wanted to add that not every chin will take to a buddy. Make sure you're prepared to have a second set-up for your new chin. It will just be an added bonus if they get along for you.

I agree with the others. I have only one chin, and she seems perfectly content in her little world, lol. She is the ruler of her kingdom, and gets thoroughly spoiled.

Remember, too, that there is a month quarantine before you can even introduce the 2nd chin to your current chin. And as said, they may or may not get along.

That being said, good luck in your search!

i would keep them sepreate for awhile i have to get rid of my kitten to my dad cause i found out im allergic dont worry they wont be in the same cage the cage and the chiin are 150 for both

Here's the thing about chinchillas, they are social animals BUT I have found that once I got a cagemate for one of my chins they were no longer as bonded to me but instead their cage mate. If you enjoy Smokey and the love he has for you, you have to understand that if you give him a chinchilla then he might not be as friendly toward you or enjoy interacting with you as much as he did when he was on his own with you.

I have just one chin. She does just fine on her own. We have a good bond going and she trusts me. If you are ready for another chin, then go ahead and get one. If not, it is ok to just have one. Trust me they are fine on their own.

How long have you had Smokey?? If you have a kitten and you're allergic to him/her then you might want to give it some time to make sure you're not also allergic to chins. You don't want to get a second one just to have to give both away...
Anyways good luck with you're search and I hope everything works put for you, while you're still waiting you might want to search intro's/quarantine on this sight, there's lots of really good info :)

I wanted to get another chin right away too but I think it's best to make sure you can handle one before you move onto another (they're a lot of work!) and also, remember that just because you get your chin a friend does not mean he will want his friend. I bought my Zeb a cage mate and, well, they hate each other. They're contentedly separated now and I love them both dearly but it's good to know that things don't always go as planned.

You just got Smokey, I think you likely are allergic to him/his things. Dust, hay, fur. Please do not get another pet until you have this figured out. Just be patient, if the kitten is gone for a few weeks and your allergies are all gone then you'll prob know. If I were you I wouldn't get another one, it's true. If Smokey bonds with another he will not be as close with you.

Back