New flying Saucer, any tips?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

anue118

My two-year-old chin got a flying saucer for Christmas. It's been over three weeks since I set it up, and the thing still scares the crap out of her. I've tried coaxing her onto it with a raisin, but the only way that she'll get on is if I hold it steady so it doesn't spin.

I was wondering if anybody had any tips? I realize that I probably just need to be patient, but I'm so afraid that she'll never learn how to use it! How long did it take your chins to get the hang of the thing?

Jigsaw climbed on the flying saucer almost immediately, but Calypso took almost 6 weeks to get up the courage to try it. Now they both zoom on it like it's no thing.

Give your girl more time and I'm sure she'll learn to love it :)

sometimes if they are a bit wabbly (sp?) you can put a piece of wood under it. If it's wabbly that might add the the fear ;)

if not just be patient. My chins took three months with four different attempts to get a plain ol' wheel!!!

they may not be the brightest chins, but ya gotta love em':rolleyes:

Jigsaw climbed on the flying saucer almost immediately, but Calypso took almost 6 weeks to get up the courage to try it. Now they both zoom on it like it's no thing.

Give your girl more time and I'm sure she'll learn to love it :)

Same here. Sometimes it just takes some chins a bit longer to get the hang of it. Chula got it the very same day that I put it in there, but that usually isn't the case.

Thanks! That's reassuring! I thought she was abnormal. Chins just look like they have so much fun on the saucers, and I don't want her to miss out!

I'll also definitely look into fastening the saucer with a piece of wood.

My chins took a few weeks to do it. Just make sure its not too high (no more than 6" off the floor) and I would recommend ledges....my chins like to leap from ledges onto the wheel....I dont know why. I think just give them time. I dont know I would bribe them with raisins....that may prevent them from wanting to use the wheel if they don't get the postitive reinforcement to get on it when youre not around. My breeder had flying saucers in her cages so I think they were used to it already. But from other posts I have heard that some chins never end up using them. Hopefully yours start using it....mine almost always run away from me on the wheel so I always get a butt view. :p

Back