New father of 2 baby kits!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tangloa

Hiya guys, my Female just gave birth today, after 118 days, she has finally poped out 2 fuzzy babies. She is a new mother, and im wondering if there is anyway to increase her milk output. My friends have said cranberry juice and chamomile tea? Any suggestions for helping her produce more milk? I have given her 2x the hay water, and food.

Any tips?

Is there a reason she needs to increase her milk production? While most chins get their milk right away, it's also normal if her milk does not come in until the second or even third day, so as long as the kits aren't losing weight the first couple days, that's alright. After that, you want to start seeing them gain 2 gm a day.

Some people use a half 100% pure apple juice (no sugar) and half water mixture for a water bottle to give to mom. This can help increase her milk flow, but doesn't always. You would need to hang this in addition to a regular plain water bottle. You can also offer a little alfalfa hay for a couple days.

Other than that, if she has milk she has it, if she doesn't, she doesn't. Then you get the fun of hand feeding.

I'm only worried that she wont produce enough milk for the kits. How would I tell if she she actually has milk for them? What would be some signs that the kits are not receiving milk?

Do you have a weight scale? You need to monitor their weights to make sure they are getting enough from mom.

As Ann said - get a scale. If they are not getting milk, they won't gain weight, they will start to lose.

Make sure it's a gram scale. A pound scale will not give you an accurate measurement with the little ones.

I have 2 scales, but it measures up to 8 pounds. I dont live in the US, but i am going to get a gram scale tomorrow. I measured them yesterday, when they were first born, and they were 2 ounces. I measured them today, and the indicator has moved very slightly. I have seen them always attached to her stomach on her nipples, and i dont know if there is any milk or not. I have given her in a water bottle1/3 of baby Gerber's apple juice and the rest 2/3 water to try to help her produce more. (This is my first chinchilla birth, so im extra worried, so sorry for all these questions! Your better to be safe than sorry!) Thank you all for your help!

The kits weighed 2 ounces each. In addition to the water bottle with apple juice + water, I also have a plain bottle of water.

Just an update on the kits.
They are gaining weight, so i guess that means that the mom has milk for them! *sigh* What a relief! Thank you guys for all your concern!

~Nick

Back