New dog + chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sovay

We just got our first dog, and we want to train her to leave the chinchillas alone straight from the beginning. She's part border collie, so we're wary about her becoming fixated on the movement and want to curb that right away. On walks, she hasn't chased squirrels (yet) so that's a good sign.

Our chins are in the office, so we can close the door off if need be. They are also in a ferret nation on bed stilts so their sleeping spot is much higher than the 30 lb dog. The chins have been exposed to dogs before (they've stayed with my parents while I was away and they have several dogs) and they are not upset by them at all.

So far, she hasn't been interested in them at all during the day while they are sleeping so we keep the door open. But around 8pm when they wake up to eat dinner, dust and run on the wheel, she became very interested. Last night we basically made the chin room off limits while they were active so we can plan our training 'attack'.

Does the CnH crew have any suggestions slash success stories from training a new dog to respect the chins? I obviously don't want to put the chins and dog together or anything. I just want her to understand one of her boundaries is the chin cage. Thanks in advance.

it only takes a second for something to go horribly wrong. I personaly would never let the two come in contact.

Back