new chins totally different! !

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keirazak

Hi we have just acquired 2 new members frankie and benny. Both male chins around 18 months old. The problem I'm having is finding treats they like There are nothing like my other 2 they are eating musli my others are on nuggets. Which is not a problem but I have heard that musli isn't the best for them. Charlie and angel love there treats a raisin a week then shredded wheat, cheerios, dried rose hips. But the new ones won't touch any of them apparently they like raisins but again don't want to give these everyday as they are really sweet. Anyone any ideas what else I could try? I just want them to settle in and be able to interact with them like I do my girls. Also last thing the cage they came in is tiny . My girls live in a really big cage. Feel really bad for them :( how long should I leave it till I get them a bigger cage. Any suggestions would be great. I want the little guys to feel welcome :)

To be honest I would just stop giving the raisins and start changing them to a better food. Do it slowly so as not to upset their tummies but do get them on good food as soon as you can. You can keep offering other treats and they may decide to like them when they know they aren't getting raisins again.

I would wait until they are settled for the new cage and slowly introduce them to the new one during out times. This worked very well for us and the chins would decide they wanted to stay in the big cage after a few days.

Yeah thats what I thought had a disaster today though went to get some more of the food they are on as they only had enough for one day thought I'd start mixing there musli with better food a bit at a time to find they don't stock the musli they were on any more. I know I can get chinchilla musli in town but different brands just that Charlie chinchilla which I've heard is really bad any advise not sure what to do. Also I'm a little worried about the littlest one Benny he's so tiny there doesn't seem to be anything on him. I know I have read that males are smaller than females but at the side of my girls they are really small especially Benny he looks like a little stray bless him. Is it normal for makes to be so little hes supposed to be 18 months old :(

If their food is really bad, and you can't get anything else, just give them the same as your girls. The Charlie Chin food is crap, so don't even bother with it. Hopefully once they're on a good pellet and hay Benny will start to gain some weight. Is he just skinny or small overall? He might be younger than you were told.

They were on Beaphar xtravita?, to be honest I don't know if its any good or not mine have always just been on nuggets don't know anything about musli. Benny is really small as well as being skinny I think but as I've never had male chins so nothing to compare them to except my girls who are 6 months younger.

I believe Beaphar is a good food, but I'm not really sure. Their food should be just pellets with nothing added like seeds or dried fruit.

My ebony boy isn't tiny but he is noticeably smaller than my other two boys but weighs close to the same. He also took longer to mature than the other two. Just another reason he's a pet and won't ever be bred but we love him as a pet.

I can't comment on diet because I don't know the brands but wish you the best of luck with them.

I've done some reading up on the Beaphar and a lot of people say its really good and there chins love it. But they tend to pick everything out of it except pellets they just leave them I bowl!! I did manage to get some from Amazon they are pretty rare to get hold of :( just didn't want them any more upset having just got them to be messing about with there food as well. Anyway at least ive got some for now, think I will just gradually add more of the girls pellets in (well that's the plan they are pretty fussy about there food.!!)
Glad mine isn't the only small boy jazicat :) All mine are just pets as well wouldn't dream of putting them together my girls would have them for breakfast bless em ;)

Latest posts

Back