New chinnie! (Questions)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yuudoku.Niji

So this morning I have brought home a new chinchilla. I disinfected two cages and put them side by side(and cleaned and washed everything inside like fleece and stuff), and I put my current chin Ashe in one side and the new chin (who I have named Echo, he's a month younger than Ashe) in the other. So far when they have seen each other and gotten up close by the bars of the cage by each other, Ashe would become like super hyper, run around a bunch and bite at the bars, while Echo would just sit there and occasionally chew back at the bars. Do you think this is an okay start for them? I'd like to pair them in the same cage in the future but If it doesn't work out and they don't get along, that's fine. Echo was with two other male chins in a cage where he previously lived. I was also told he wasn't handled much but when I held him there, he seemed to take quite a liking to me. What do you think? How long should I keep them separated? How would I introduce them when the time comes? Thanks!

I don't know much about intros other than that you should quarantine the new chin for at least 30 days to make sure there's nothing that could be passed on to your existing chin.

I have never attempted this myself. I have read many topics by wonderful people on here who have done it and know a lot on the subject. Try searching for introducing chinchillas in the search bar above us. You will find a lot of great information to help you.

I have never attempted this myself. I have read many topics by wonderful people on here who have done it and know a lot on the subject. Try searching for introducing chinchillas in the search bar above us. You will find a lot of great information to help you.

Alright, thanks!

they should be quarantined at least 30 days in case one of them has something that the other could catch. You don't want them passing it along.

Intros are best done slowly over time. Rushing it can have bad consequences. There are many different methods ppl use. If you search intro on here you will find more. But when i introed my first two, i had them in separate cages a good bit of distance from each other for a long time (month or so). Then moved the cages closer together (but not close enough they could reach each other.) Kept them like that for a good while as well. Just to make sure they were as used to each others presence as they could be.

After a few months total, they seemed to be ok with each other enough that i tried to let them meet face to face. You generally don't want to stick one into anothers cage. That will bring up territorial issues and you don't want that. Its best to do it in a neutral environment. I used there play area to do it. Fourtionitly for me, there cages are in there play room. - But you have to keep a close eye on them. If they start fighting then they need to be separated fast.

Often times you will see signs of dominance from one chin to another, or both trying to assert. Things like minor chasing, and mounting each other. You just have to watch for any real aggression.

While i took many months before putting them face to face, i was lucky in that they got along right away.

Chico_Sophie.jpg

My first two chins meeting for the very first time!

(fyi: i was still quite new to chins and didn't no any better. I would not leave the broom/mob accessible for them. Nor the window drapes withing reach, because they will chew them. Nor should anyone use that type of wheel)

And one very important thing to add. Check to make sure they are both the same gender! Do not take there former owners or a stores word for it. Learn the difference and check yourself. They are much harder to tell apart them most animals. As a result, ppl often are wrong when checking.

You do not want a situation where someone was wrong and you ended up putting a male and female together. They will breed, and if you don't know what you are doing and how to care for them, it will be very dangerous for the kits, and for the mother. So please check for yourself.

And one very important thing to add. Check to make sure they are both the same gender! Do not take there former owners or a stores word for it. Learn the difference and check yourself. They are much harder to tell apart them most animals. As a result, ppl often are wrong when checking.

You do not want a situation where someone was wrong and you ended up putting a male and female together. They will breed, and if you don't know what you are doing and how to care for them, it will be very dangerous for the kits, and for the mother. So please check for yourself.

Yes, I've preformed hair rings checks on my boy already and the new chin I got has gotten a female pregnant twice(was used for breeding purposes previously and no longer will now) and was in a cage with two other males(or I guess now, so they said). Though I will check him(she?) to definitely make sure once s/he becomes more comfortable with me since s/he doesn't like to be handled too much. lol

they should be quarantined at least 30 days in case one of them has something that the other could catch. You don't want them passing it along.

Intros are best done slowly over time. Rushing it can have bad consequences. There are many different methods ppl use. If you search intro on here you will find more. But when i introed my first two, i had them in separate cages a good bit of distance from each other for a long time (month or so). Then moved the cages closer together (but not close enough they could reach each other.) Kept them like that for a good while as well. Just to make sure they were as used to each others presence as they could be.

After a few months total, they seemed to be ok with each other enough that i tried to let them meet face to face. You generally don't want to stick one into anothers cage. That will bring up territorial issues and you don't want that. Its best to do it in a neutral environment. I used there play area to do it. Fourtionitly for me, there cages are in there play room. - But you have to keep a close eye on them. If they start fighting then they need to be separated fast.

Often times you will see signs of dominance from one chin to another, or both trying to assert. Things like minor chasing, and mounting each other. You just have to watch for any real aggression.

While i took many months before putting them face to face, i was lucky in that they got along right away.

Chico_Sophie.jpg

My first two chins meeting for the very first time!

(fyi: i was still quite new to chins and didn't no any better. I would not leave the broom/mob accessible for them. Nor the window drapes withing reach, because they will chew them. Nor should anyone use that type of wheel)

I just separated them earlier today. And alright, thanks so much for the advice!

Back