New Chinchillas!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toxxxic.kitten

Someone listed a breeding pair on the local Craigslist, so I was just curious as to what they were asking. It turns out the pair have been housed together & she has been bred back to back to back, which I thought was awful. I told them my plans with them and they wanted to tell me to keep them together because they would get depressed. I think I did the right thing by separating them. And I know it's possible for her to be pregnant again. He said the last baby she had back in May. They are both very loving and sweet. The male is a little stinker. He jumped out of the box as soon as it opened and I spent 30-45 minutes chasing him around my apartment trying to catch him!

I just want to clarify their morphs to make sure I got it right. The female is a Standard and the male is a Dark Standard? Here are the pictures! I also need to think of names...

Female.
DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0013.JPG

DSC_0015+_2_.JPG

Male.
DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

Standard is not a mutation. It's called "standard" because it is the wild type in chinchillas and therefore the "standard" color of a chinchilla.

They are both standards and kudos to you for getting them and giving the girl a long deserved break. Chins don't need to be breeding machines!

Congrats on the new chins.

Since it is very likely she could be pregnant again, and may be close to delivering, I would get her into a baby safe cage ASAP. Kits are surprisingly mobile soon after they are born, and can easily escape out of the cage she is in in the pictures.

For safety, I would keep her in the cage for around 111 days from today.

How can you tell if a Chin is pregnant? Is there a way to tell?

I will get her into a baby safe Chin cage. :))

You'll know when you see kits in the cage - some chins show signs some don't. Weight gain, laying on side, increased water intake in the days up to delivery are all signs.

Latest posts

Back