New Chinchillas! Questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, so I've had my chinchillas (Stitch and 621) for about a week. They are both about a year old and live together (they have all their lives). This is my first time owning chinchillas. 621 doesn't seem to be bonding. She gets really scared whenever I am near her cage. Stitch is just fine, though. She greets me at the door to her cage when I come in my room (she's still a little nervous, as expected). 621 will take oats from my hand, then run into her igloo to hide. Is there any way to help her bond faster? I'm kind of scared she's going to bite me.
Stitch is fine with petting, but after a minute she pushes my hand away. I don't want to chase her to the corner of the cage, but I want to pick her up. How do I know when it's okay?
Also, Stitch grinds her teeth a lot. What does this mean?
Is it okay to use a cage with no bedding? I ordered the bedding online, but it hasn't come in yet. I've been cleaning out their cages twice a day with baby wipes while they are out. I don't know if that could hurt them though.
Why does it look like they're glaring a lot? I can't tell if they're sleepy or just annoyed at me.
How many oats can I give my little furballs at a time/per day/week?
What kind of litter pan should I use?
Any tips to help bonding or training?
Thank you bunches in advance :youman:

*Sidenote: I never knew two small animals could poop so much!*

Pine or aspen for bedding, or you can use fleece with a litter pan, glass or metal with aspen or pine in it. Some chins take longer to bond than others and some never like to be picked up. You can use ool fashion oats in your hand to help bond, give them time to adjust, talk to them and let them get used to your scent. Teeth grinding is usually agitation as well as them pushing your hand away. Good luck with your new babies!

Latest posts

Back