New Chinchilla!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cass C

I am going to be getting a 7 month old white chinchilla from Aces Up Chinchillas tomorrow and I'm very excited! As some of you know a while back I lost my female to Malo and soon after my male was also diagnosed with it. While I'm very sad by losing my 7 year old pair I decided things don't feel right without a chin baby around the house. I've been talking with the breeder and have made a few changes to hopefully prevent the new baby from getting malo.

I would love to hear any other changes I can make to improve my new baby's life.

I have a 3 level critter nation cage, but until we can get her settled in I'm going to have her in only one level. I use aspen bedding on the main floor with fleece covering the plastic platform.

I've got a bale of fresh horse quality Timothy hay. I've also got alfalfa/oat hay cubes, some compressed alfalfa pellets, old fashioned oats, and Un-frosted shredded wheats for treats. I'm feeding oxbow pellets as a primary diet.

For chewing I have lava rocks, loofa, willow sticks, and apple sticks.

Also it's been a while since I've had to tame a chinchilla what is the best method? Last time I just sat on the floor during play time and handed them a treat whenever they were nearby. To catch during playtime before they were tame I just left their carrier on the floor and would just close the door when they went inside.

Sounds like you already answered your own question. :) Just spend time with her. That's the only way she will become used to you and "tame." Read to her in her cage, sit with her during playtime, etc.

Your cage sounds great just the way it is. I would just be sure that there are lots of areas that she can land safely if she should fall from the top shelf, since she is likely not used to a high cage like that. Spread some hammocks out to catch her fall.

Congrats!

Sounds like you already answered your own question. :) Just spend time with her. That's the only way she will become used to you and "tame." Read to her in her cage, sit with her during playtime, etc.

Your cage sounds great just the way it is. I would just be sure that there are lots of areas that she can land safely if she should fall from the top shelf, since she is likely not used to a high cage like that. Spread some hammocks out to catch her fall.

Congrats!

Thanks! I'm just wanting to be extra safe this time :)

Latest posts

Back