New chinchilla owner

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trillian

I'm adopting a chinchilla from work that the owners abandoned. He's a young guy (less then a year) and he's a bit of an impulse adoption as I get to play with him almost daily and have fallen in love. I get to pick him up friday. I have a on story ferret nation for him, Oxbow food, and most of his needs already purchased. Anyway!

My biggest question is: Can he play with bird toys? From what I read chinchillas are active, inquisitive little critters and I'm have a hard time finding a variety of toys for him.

Not all bird toys will be safe. There are many venders here that have toys you can buy. Or you can make your own..Do your homework about what is safe and what is not. Making the toys can be fun. Glad your giving him a good home.

Bird toys from pet stores can be expensive, you can use the ones which only have wood on them and something like chain, wire or sisal for the hanging part.

Not all bird toys will be safe. There are many venders here that have toys you can buy. Or you can make your own..Do your homework about what is safe and what is not. Making the toys can be fun. Glad your giving him a good home.

Second that. Some of them are not safe. You need to learn the specifics of what is safe and what is not before buying any product. And don't trust only was on the product label in a store. They exclude a lot of stuff. So you rly need to check the product out in-depth as well. (I found that out the wrong way)

We drilled holes through untreated pine and hung it on chain. He will play with it for hours. The store bought ones are costly and destroyed in no time.

Attachments

• IMG_0328.jpg
    IMG_0328.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 20
Bird toys from pet stores can be expensive, you can use the ones which only have wood on them and something like chain, wire or sisal for the hanging part.

I second this! I always looks at the bird stuff thinking I'll find something awesome for the chins, and more often than not, I change my mind because it's too darn expensive! The hanging wood toys in the small pet section are great, and there are many folks on here that sell even nicer toys (with more variety) for cheaper prices (but you have to pay shipping). Occasionally, I get a cuttlebone from the bird section for the boys to chew on, they love playing with those and they provide some calcium if they need it.

Back