New Chinchilla owner

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashley.lavere

I just got my first Chinchilla today, he is 5 months old and seems to be very scared or shy. I let him run around me for awhile then tried petting him, he now lets me pet him but makes a sneezing like noise. Is that a bad thing or good? What is the best way to get my chinchilla used to me so i can hold him? I don't want to scare him, I think i might have already because I tried to pick him up and he squirmed a lot. He also nibbles a lot. I don't think he is doing it to harm me because it doesn't hurt but does that mean he doesn't want to be pet? Sorry so many questions, I just want the best for my little guy :)

Thank-you
Ashley

Give him a week or so in his cage to get used to his new home. You can sit by his cage and talk, read out loud, or even sing while you are there. That way he gets used to your voice and presence. You can also put your hand in the cage and let him approach it in his own time. Take it slow. Once he is used to climbing on your hand, you can try lifting him up when he is on them. The sound he is making is a kack and he is telling you to back off, he is scared. Chins nibble to check things out. They also nibble to tell you to put them down. If you put him down when he nibbles on you, it will teach him that biting gets him what he wants, so continue to hold him when he does it.

Chins nibble to check things out. They also nibble to tell you to put them down. If you put him down when he nibbles on you, it will teach him that biting gets him what he wants, so continue to hold him when he does it.

My chins nibble all the time. Even when your doing something they want. Chico will run over and position himself up to get scratched on his stomic all the time. And he will lightly nibble my finger while he does it. All my chins do in some way.

Thank you, he seems to like his new home. :) I open his cage to let around on his own and occasionally he will climb on top of me. But whenever i move he darts. Will he eventually get used to me the more i do this? when i open his cage to pet him he tries to get out and run.

If you just got him, you might wanna consider not letting him out for a good while. Give him some time to get adjusted to his environment.

As for him darting, that might calm down some as he gets accustomed to you and the environment. Or he might not. All 5 of my chins dart like crazy at sudden, loud, or unexpected movement/noises. It can be surprising to. Their are times i would expect mine to dart like mad, and they just sit their staring at me. Other times, just a deep breath and they dart lol.

The more time you just sit with him without the pressure of totally interacting, he will start to be more relaxed and calm around you and more trusting. Just sit with him and don't reach out for him. Talk to him. Get him used to you. Sit with him as long as you are able to. But it can take a bit of time and patience for him to warm up to you, but it does pay off in the end.

Back