New Chinchilla Issues

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willow111

My little sister brought home a new chinchilla. She is an 8 week old beige and much smaller than my chinchilla was at 8 weeks. We've tried to help her figure out how to use a water bottle, but she doesn't seem to understand. Is there any way to teach her? Is there any other way to get water into her?
She also isn't running or jumping as much or high as my chinchilla was at 8 weeks. She seems very behind. The owner said she was weaned. And she can eat, but that's about it.
Another issue us that she does not know how to take a dust bath. Does anybody know why? And it there any way to teach her or will she eventually figure out how?

Thanks for your help
-Willow111

Just for anyone who is wondering what I did...
For the first few days I hung up a water bottle in her cage, but fed her water with a little dropper. She eventually found the water bottle and is drinking from that now.
She still doesn't know how to take a dust bath which is weird because people say this is instinct. I don't know what to do about that so if you have any recommendations, please tell me.
She eats a lot and is getting stronger, which makes me so happy :)

Yay baby chin!

A kit should be weaned at 8 weeks not go home at 8 weeks (rehomed at 10-12 weeks is better and more normal). The person you got the chin from should have made sure the kit was eating and drinking properly, that is the point of the extra weeks, it's not uncommon for a kit to need extra time with it's mother. Chins grow at different speeds, but are you sure she is 8 weeks not younger? Anyway not much you can do about it now and it sounds like you got her drinking now anyways.

The dust bath you can try just sprinkling and rubbing it on her fur, she will shake it off and should get the idea eventually. It's not instinctive, normally the mother teaches them.

Back