New Chinchilla Help Please!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couteuse

Hi, I'm a brand new owner of a 2-month old female Chin.

I have a few questions if any of you guys don't mind answering.

1. I know chinchillas typically don't like being held, but I seen people with chins that do, is there a way to train mine to enjoy being held?

2. She`s more active in the evening, so when I hold her in the evening she tends to not stay still and sometimes jumps out of my arms but I feel as though it`s not safe for her. Is there a way to prevent this?

3. How do I teach my chin to recognize her own name? And come if I called her?

4. How do I teach my chinchilla tricks? At what age is appropriate to start learning tricks?

5. I don't let my chinchilla run around outside of the cage yet, what age is appropriate to do so?

6. She doesn't seem to like getting scratches anywhere. When my dog was young he didn't like scratches or belly rubs but started to enjoy them when he got older. Do you think this could be the case for my chin?

7. My chinchilla only jumps onto my hand in the evening and will not come during the day time. Should I never grab her and just let her come to my hand everytime? Will this make her feel more comfortable to come to my hand in the daytime?

8. Any other tips for bonding and/or good behaviour training?

Thanks

1. I don't think you can really train them, but at the beginning (mine was also a 2 month old chin!) she hated being held but eventually she started jumping in my hands when I put them in the cage. I think it just comes with time but also depends on the chin. When she does go in your hand maybe give her a treat while shes sitting there like oatmeal (the old fashioned kind)

2. I don't think there's a way to prevent them jumping out...but you can always bring them into a room, like the bathroom, so if they jump out they're still contained. Having "play time" (but very short amounts because she's young) in the bathroom is a great way to get her more comfortable with you too.

3. My chin kinda just learned her name because I'd always say "Good morning Cookie!", "Hi Cookie", etc. Just say it frequently to her and she will learn it. They're pretty smart.

4. I think you need to wait a while to start with the tricks- this is something I want to do with mine but still haven't started

5. For young chins you really just have to monitor them and the time because if they run around for too long they can get overheated and sick

6. Mine doesn't really like scratches either...but sometimes now when she's sitting on my hand I can pet her and give her light scratches and she's fine with it

7. Do not grab her unless it's an emergency. Grabbing her will make her associate being held or picked up with fear. If you let her come to you on her own terms she will feel more in control and comfortable

8. as far as good behavior- mine chews on everything and it was getting bad with my fingers and clothing, so I started either tapping her on the nose when she did it or squeaking (because that's what chins do when something hurts), and although she hasn't completely stopped, she does it waaaay less

=]

I don't think you can 'train' a chinchilla to enjoy being held. Some like it, some don't, its a personality thing. I've heard of some people preventing jumping by just holding onto the base of the tail close to the body. I would never EVER advise 'just grabbing' any animal, especially the little guys. It makes a negative association with you. The only time I pick up my boy (because he HATES it and won't usually climb onto my hands) is if I have to get him on the scale, because he won't get on the scale on his own. I make sure when I have to disgruntle him like that for his health, that I give him a very special treat that he doesn't get at any other time so he gets something 'special' for his trouble. I'm hoping eventually it won't be so much of a fight just to get him on the scale (he acts like its the end of the world just to sit in a bowl on the scale for all of ten second 9.9). That being said, I will never pick him up and try to hold him or force him to interact just because I want him to. Not all chins like to be petted/held, he doesn't like to be picked up or cuddled, and I just have to respect that. Just take it slow, your chin will tell you what she's comfortable with and what she isn't. Remember that chins can be divas and even if she likes you sometimes, she might not care at all about your existence other times.

Seeing as you are a new owner, and your chin is only 2 months most of what you asked will come with time. But to answer you questions...

1. As said you can't really train them, it's really not in chins nature to enjoy being held, you get the odd one that enjoys it but most don't. Also chins like cold, and human hands are hot. Also unlike what sassyandclassy said, food treats should not be given until the chin is at least 6 months, hand fed chew twigs, pellets, and hay are better "treats" for now.

2. The best way to prevent jumping out of your hands is to hold the base of the tail with one hand, were the tail meets the body (any farther down risks breaking the tail) and support the body with your other hand or your body.

3. As said your chin will pick up on her name over time, just talk to her and she'll learn. As to coming when called, it comes down to if she wants to come or not, lol.

4. I guess for tricks it depends on what you are trying to do, but you'd be better off just working on bonding for now. Tricks might be easier to train when the chin is a bit older so you can use little bits of treats as rewards and you have a better bond with her.

5. For chins under 6 months it's best to either not have out of cage playtime or limited to about 10 mins a day max. They need their energy to grow, and young chins can over do it and end up collapsing and/or having seizures from low blood sugar or over heating.

6. Some chins like being scratched others don't, but I think as she gets to trust you more she will allow you to pet and scratch her in the spots she likes.

7. As said never grab her unless you have to, it will hurt your bond. It's best to be patient and let the chin come to you. Also it's normal for chins to not want to come out during the day, they sleep in the day. Chins are normally awake during early morning and late evening/night, and sleep during the middle of the night and middle of the day.

8. As to bonding advice, talking to, reading to, singing to and just sitting with the chin all help. You can also rest your hands in the cage and let her come sniff you and crawl on you arms. But above all it takes time and patience, chins live a long time for a rodent some even 20+ years, so they have the time to slowly get to know you on their terms and speed.

I am a new chin owner myself. My little guy is 9 weeks. I have learned that they are super curious. At first I just would sit with him and talk to him. Then I would sit with my hands just laying in the cage. He climbs all over them. I had my husband to the same thing. He is also super outgoing to so that helps. I know it is hard but being patient and taking your time will do wonders. I also found that he likes to have the radio on....think it sooths him so might try that just to help them adjust. As far as playtime, I just take mine out to clean his cage and I make it as quick as possible since I put him in his play pin.

All pet chinchillas need to learn to tolerate being picked up when they do not want to. Yes, a mad grab at them could hurt the bond you have, but it is possible to just reach in and pick up a chinchilla. Do it calmly and it does not frighten them. What would you do if the chinchilla needed to go to the vet ASAP and he does not want to jump in your hand? Will you just wait him out for however long it takes? Definitely not a good plan. I can reach into any of my cages and just pick up any chinchilla I want. All of my chinchillas allow me to pick them up because this is what we do from day one. If they are not sleeping, they will come to the front of the cage to see me and climb on me. They are not fearful about being picked up. Some do run on occasion, but I wait a minute for them to stop and calmly try again.

Only time will tell and yours is very young to be expecting much. Most are not trainable like a dog, but I know a few out there claim to have trained theirs.

The more you handle them, the more tame they become. A tame chin is 100 times more easy to deal with when sick and you have to hand feed than a un tame one, then it can be almost impossible. Work on taming.

my chin is 3 months old and at first she wouldn't eat and she would cry and when i would let her out she would just ignore me.
Now she allows me to scratch her(though only for the amount of time she feels is ok) and when we get our play time she comes on my legs and climbs on my hand.
I thought it would never happen but it did.
i mostly talk to her and read to her ...tried the tv but she doesn't like the images...she does like the sound of it being turned on but not the lights and flickering images.
Pretty much your chin will tell you what it wants...just give it time.
At first i freaked out about everything only wanting the best for her ...
time is all you need.

I don't know about tricks...i happen to watch a video or two in youtube but all the chins there were older chins...

As for her name just talk to her and call her by it...
mine recognises my voice and her name..

During the day chins sleep(astrid does wake up to eat and drink something and chew on her cage a lil bit but then goes back to sleep) in the evening when you spend time with her sit by the cage and just let your hand be close.(i got two bites before she felt comfortable to come over and smell and be close...now she nibbles and lets me scratch her)

As for picking her up i have never tried it so i can't give you any advise...i know mine will not stand to pick her up but its still early...we need baby steps and we will get there.

So give it time and just hung out with your chin!

she will get used to you and you to her.

Some chins will never like being held. But if you do hold them, hold them firmly against your body so they feel secure. give them a treat after being held, and tell them good boy/girl :)

It's also a good idea to talk to them inside the cage, read them a book, or talk to them for a while so they will get used to your voice.

Also a good idea to get your chin used to you more, you can take a t-shirt that you have worn all day (make sure their is not strong perfume, or cologne smell) and put it on top of the cage, so your scent will be with them all day. That way, when you do get them out, they know your scent and they will be a little less spazzy when around you :)

hope this helps! Chins are special, and need time to be trained/tamed so just be patient :)

Back