New Chinchilla Concerns.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frost11

I picked up my new chinchilla today, he is beautiful and I fell in instant love. However, I have a few concerns..

His hair looks very greasy around his eyes. His eyes seemed to be watering. What could this be?

He seems almost sad/maybe lethargic. Or maybe Chinchillas of his age are just this calm (he is 5 years old). He stays on the same shelf and hasn't really moved. However, should I take into account that his cage that he was previously in was a rat cage and now he is in a quality cage Chinchilla Mansion cage? Perhaps, he doesn't know what to do with all the room? He even seemed a little scared jumping off one of my wooden shelves to the floor of the cage. :broken:

I haven't seen him eat any of my food or drink any of the water I have provided however I have only had him for 6 hours. She gave me some of her food and it's Charlie's Chinchilla food. I am offering Oxbow.

Maybe, I am just a worry wart, but I am concerned about the little guy. Heck, he doesn't even like the new toys in his cage. Sheesh. :banghead:

His old home is sitting in our living room. He jumped in it, ate some food and hid in there. I took him out and placed him back in his big home. He does have a hideaway. I am looking for a bigger one though. :)

Definitely make sure he has a house or something to hide in if he feels the need to be safe. Sometimes it can take a few days for him to settle in... lots of big changes in his life. Dust baths are a great idea as they can be very calming.

As far as the toys, if they have never had them it seems to take some a while for them to realize what to do with them.

Sounds like he has found chinchilla nirvana! New home,toys,good food,hay and a great big new cage! It's a great world for a chinnie, but it's all new to the fuzzy one and will take awhile to get used to and settle in. The quick changeover from the crappy food is good with good hay and water but maybe he could stay in his old cage for awhile (or at least if he had an old hidey house you can put that in his new cage) while he gets used to new food and new people then gradually move over to his big home.Maybe do the opposite from what you did,let him stay in his old cage but during playtime check out his new home? It would be ideal if his old home would fit inside his new one or if it could be temporarily(but securely of course) attached to his new cage so that he can explore on his on time.Just a few ideas to make his transition a little easier.:)

He hides in his tree trunk and seems to enjoy it. He is eating and drinking okay. He has a slight head tilt (possible ear infection?) so has a vet visit today to make sure he is tip-top shape. ;) I should take him in for a check up anyway, he hasn't had one in 5 years per his previous owner and he is 5. So, I think he is due. :)

Hi I too have new chins had them for 4 days but already love them there fab :) I was same when I got them went out spent a small fortune on toys !! But they were the same as your guy just looked at them as if to say what is that you've put in my cage :-/ now they both love them it was very comical watching them get used to the wheel :) I got them in a good cage 5ft tall so kept it but I took out the one thing that came with it as it was falling to bits but don't know why the first night they didn't really settle so I put it back again must have been the scent or something settled as soon as I put it back. So maybe it's too much change for the little guy at once even though they are all good changes :) I agree with what's been said maybe if you could somehow connect the cages together he will gradually start spending more time in his big cage but has his little cage for security till he adjusts :) or if there were any bits that came with the old cage you could put in his new one so he still has scents of his old home.

Sometimes they may look a little greasy from the oil in your skin from handling. If the eyes are watery or if you see any discharge (like puss) take it to a vet to get some antibiotic eye drops.

Watery eyes and pus can mean more than a eye infection, it can mean teeth issues and the diagnosis should be made at the vet, not on the net.

Latest posts

Back