new chinchilla biting/chewing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got a 5 month old chinchilla and she's pretty friendly, but wont let me pet her or pick her up. Whenever she climbs on me she chews EVERYTHING. My bracelet, my clothes, my fingers.

Will this stop as she gets older? Is there any way I can train her to stop?

Chinchillas are natural born chewers and will chew on anything and everything presented to them. This is why it is suggested they have wooden cage shelves and chin-friendly chew toys and no plastic available. Much of this chewing instinct comes because their teeth are continually growing.

As for biting on your fingers, some would suggest blowing a gentle puff in their face to encourage them to stop. I just remind myself they are going what chins do.

Last edited:
Mine always give test nibbles of my hands, ring and shirt, etc. As long as they are not biting hard, it's just them exploring. It's like a toddler touching something, and meant just as harmlessly.

As for biting on your fingers, some would suggest blowing a gentle puff in their face to encourage them to stop.

I would definitely not suggest blowing in your chinchilla's face, even though some people recommend it. I come from a nursing perspective when I say:
You have bacteria/pathogens in your mouth that could make your chinchilla very very sick. Chinchillas are highly susceptible to infectious diseases such as respiratory infections, ring worm, gastrointestinal diseases, and so on. I don't know if you know this, but at all times, your mouth is covered in bacteria. Some is good, but other bacteria is pathogenic (causes disease) and waiting for a transfer to a different host or for the opportunity to invade your system. Some forms of gastroenteritis can be caused by an opportunistic pathogen that can survive in your mouth waiting for a drop in immune support for up to 6 months! You could have it in your mouth right now and not know it. (not that you do, don't freak out ha ha!)

I personally just tap my boys on the nose and say "no" firmly. This made them stop biting 100%, but they will never stop nibbling. It's a chin thing :) I can't remember who has this as their picture caption, but someone's says 'house beaver' and that is precisely what a chinchilla is! Ha ha!

chewing is in there nature. Its what they do. If you dont want them to chew on something, keep them away from it (easier said then done.) Mine chew on everything to. My fingernails, my shirt, my hair, my glasses -_-

its not the nibbling I'm worried about, that I can deal with. It's when she CHOMPS down on my finger to the point where I have puncture holes and blood!

It also bothers me that she will sit on my hands and pull at my shirts with her teeth so they get ruined -_-

Ok, so I know you don't want to hear this, but when your chin bites you you can not flinch away or pull your hand away. You must continue exactly what you are doing, tap him on the nose and say, firmly, "no!"

The clothing goes the same way, tap on the nose and say "no!"

Chins are like little kids, they will push the boundaries and given an inch would take over the world. So, it is up to you as their owner to set the boundaries firmly. Believe me, I hate being bit and hated when my boys bit me, but after a few days of firms "no's" they have never chomped on me again!

I've been trying to do that but as soon as I finish saying no she goes right back to doing it!

I guess it will just take time. She's also really young so maybe that's part of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Back