New Chin!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather100507

Hello, Sorry for the long post,
So i just got a chin, (Her name is hinata) About 2 days ago, She let me pet her and she has had "play time" She runs around and loves to run all over me, But not my fiance so much, she fine with being pet, But the cage they had was too small for her, So i have bought a new cage and it's on the way. But, when i go to pick her up, she tends to bark at me, and My faince think she might have gotten "man handled" Cause, she even worse at play time, she runs around and doesn't like being picked up to being take back into her Cage, I told him, it might be the fact that cage is small, and when your a small animal and see this gaint hand going in your cage your not, going to come out willingly, Idk, Is this a normal behavior?

(Oh! and i am glad I found this site, The old owners, told me it was okay, to feed her raisians, and so have a few other wiki sits ext. I have feed her abour 3 raisians, over the past 2 days, and i will def not feed them to her know)

That is very common behavior for a new chinchilla, especially if you've only had her a couple days. It can take a while (months even) for a chin to warm up to you. Give her some space and leave her in her cage until you get a bigger one. Taking her out on occasion is ok, but she's barking at you since she doesn't know you yet. Petting and scratching her will be a good way for you to win over her affection for now.

That's normal for chins! Some chins don't like to be held, espeically since you've just gotten her, she's still warey about letting you hold her. I've had my chin about 6 months, and she never likes it when I hold her, so I try not too unless I have too.

My chin also didn't like going back into her cage before, she would go in if I put her dust bath in her cage for her to let her bathe. Once I got her a new bigger cage, she doesn't mind going in at all. If you can't get her in, try not to stress her out! If you see her jump into the cage to eat/drink or do whatever, then that's a good time to close it once play time ends.

Be careful with feeding raisins! Raisins aren't the best to give, they have a lot of sugar in them, which is bad for chins. There are a lot of healthier things to give for treats. I wouldn't give her more then one raisin a week, less then that is better. I like to cut my chins treats up into 6-7 bite sized peices so she thinks she's getting more then she really is hehe!

That's very normal when a chin is new to you. They warm up eventually, but you should know that every chin is different and some do not like being held at all. I have two chins, one is very snuggly and likes being held but is more shy; the other is very social and likes being pet in her cage and played with, but she absolutely will NOT tolerate being held. If I try to pick her up she freaks out and just about takes my hand off. I've learned not to fight it and just do what she enjoys like giving chin scritches and talking to her. I've had her for about five years and I've just accepted that it is her personality.

Again, every chin is different so don't give up on her warning up to you. My one snuggly chin has only been with us for a little over a year and likes being held, so that just proves that they all have different personalities.

And yeah, raisins are absolutely terrible. Good for you for cutting them out. The chins won't miss them, either. Instead try giving treats like plain unsweetened cherrios, old fashioned oats, and rose hips very sparingly (MAYBE one a day at MOST)

I'm fairly certain nearly everyone here recommends not giving any raisins at all. Not even one a week is good for a chinchilla. No matter how many tiny pieces you cut them up into. I agree with Isabella on the fact that cherrios, old fashioned oats, and/or rose hips are great treats for chinchillas. Unsweetened shredded wheat work well too. I've noticed when I buy hay mixes like the botanical blend that they also have little fuzzy bits and flower tops in them. My girls think these and even handfed hay are nice "treats". Mine are too young to have tried any of the others. However, I occasionally offer them pellets, hay, some supplement, etc. out of my hand because well, it's adorable to watch and it helps us bond. They also destroy all sticks, twigs, etc. I may have to buy more soon....

Yes, this is normal. It's just because there new and don't know you yet. Mine took about 2-3 weeks to get used to me now they crawl all over me and even sit in front of the cage door when i come in the room.They need love and attention.Most chin's don't seem to like to be cuddled nd held a lot. They love to run around and have fun. They'll get used to u soon just come in daily to see them.When i first got mine the person we got them off of said not to really bother them for the first few days because they need to get use to there new home and settle in a bit.Have fun with ur chin! They are so cute and funny:) mine also love to eat cherio's (Non frosted ones) you also cant feed them too many raisins maybe 1 a day at the most if you feed them to many then they can become a diabetic Even 1 a day is a lot you should only give them a few a week. My mom has read and talked to chinchilla owner's so she know's a lot about them.Every chinchilla is different so watch for there personalities. I like to hold the cherio's up in the air nd they stand on there hind legs and try to reach them. Me and my mom taught them the word up. When we say up they stand on there hind legs even if they dont see the food. We give them a treat after they do this.It's so cute.Have fun learning about ur chin!:)

Latest posts

Back