New Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pigchinhamcat

So i guess you could say i rescued this gray chin. It was being neglected in a basement. I found him craigslist. I got a big 3 tier cage, a little food, some aspen bedding, 2 bath houses(chewed up),food dish, water bottle, silent wheel in cage, and a big ball to run in all for $50.00. He said the kids would let the bath house in the cage and thats how the houses got chewed up. They're still usable but don't look nice. There was very little dust left. When he said in an email about a 3 tier cage i thought maybe a small 1. My husband had to take the cage apart and it wasn't meant to come apart. I thought i'm not leaving this poor chin here with these people. I bought him a big jar of dust, a chin-chiller, lava ledge, a place to sleep, more food, treats and a chew toy. I've rescued guinea pigs too from unsanitary conditions. My chin isn't totally scared of us. The only next step is getting him to come to us otherwise he's good. He'll take food from my hand. They're such neat creatures i couldn't pass this up. I only use the run ball so i can clean his cage. After reading about using carefresh i might not switch. I use that for my piggies. I'll find out next time i change his bedding if he tries to eat it. My husband said this place is turning into a rescue. We have big soft spots for poorly cared for animals.

I would ditch the ball and either put him in a chin safe room, such as a bathroom or get a small playpen for him to run around in.

They can easily overheat in the ball, as well as if they urinate it goes all over him..

Everything else you got sounds great! I am sure he will be much happier now.

Please don't use the ball anymore. He could overheat and die.

Good for you for rescuing him!

Even my guinea pigs ate the Carefresh. So I wouldn't be surprised if the chin eats it, too. Some do and some don't.

Thank goodness you were able to save this poor chin! He'll probably come around pretty quickly as his quality of life improves. They are such wonderful little pets!

Please don't use the ball at all. They are not meant for chinchillas at all. Besides the possibility of overheating, they also urinate and poop inside of it, and then it ends up all over the chin. A lot of us call them the death ball.

Bedding or fleece can be used. I have switched to fleece liners because I got tired of the mess with the bedding, and having it continually clog my vacuum.

My husband said this place is turning into a rescue. We have big soft spots for poorly cared for animals.

i know the feeling. I had 2 ferrets and 2 chincs and desided then, no more pets. Now i have 5 ferrets and 5 chins lol. And all but one is either a resque or a products of resque'es lol

I used the carefresh for a long time. My one chin would eat it now and then. The others didnt seem to. Aside form the health problesm it can cause, its also a lot more expencive then aspen bedding. So i switched over. The only down side to the aspen, is that it gets everywhere. And i mean everywhere lol. But its still massivly cheaper and lasts a lot longer. And i can safly use for my ferrets and chins.

Thanks for all the replies. I've been coaxing him with food but he still won't come to me but he did come to my husband once and hopped back in the cage. I got some back up apsen just in case he tries to eat the paper. I figured even before picking him up that he'd be alot more skiddish but i'm glad he's not. He's surely much better off w/ me than them. They hadn't been giving him a dust bath either but he looks ok. He's not missing any fur, very active, eyes look good, and eats ok.

Back