new chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteTree

I haven't posted in awhile due to working two jobs and school so I'll give you the background on my chins. I have two ferret nation cages, one has a 9 year old male and a 2 year old male that get along great. The other cage has a 5 year old male that I took ownership of from my sister who was neglecting him. I had been thinking of getting him a cagemate for awhile since he seems lonely.

Well as much as I don't like the idea of buying pets from petstores I was buying dog food and saw this little beige boy and fell in love. He was all alone and I couldn't leave him there, I'm guessing he's about 5 months based on his size. I went through a whole ordeal to get him (power outage at the store, icy roads and a hectic day) but I got him and he is a lovebug.

I don't have anywhere to quarantine at the moment so they're in the same cage just divided but everyone's going to the vet thursday for a checkup and bloodwork. I understand quarantine is recommended but it's not my house, I'm confined to one room and due to the two cages I have no room. I had to remove every piece of furniture besides my bed just to fit the two cages I have.

So I started introducing them tonight, with me watching like a hawk, they ignored each other for awhile and just explored. Then they met and started what I assume is grooming each other, not biting and no fur being pulled out or noises. They also started humping each other, after a little bit I divided the cage back up and called it a night so they wouldn't get too worked up. There was no kacking or biting but a good deal of humping and running. My other boys took to each other immediately, I put them together and they curled up and took a nap, so this is different. I'm afraid I'm just being a paranoid mommy right now.

If they don't get along I'll just keep the cage divided like it is but I would like them to be buddies, the older one just seems so lonely, he cries out all night. I appreciate any insight on their behavior. They won't be left together unsupervised for awhile, only when I'm in the room until I'm positive they're getting along good I won't risk either of them getting hurt. I'm watching for aggression and haven't really seen it even with the humping they seem friendly. Thanks again

It's probably dominance humping. But to be sure, check the new chin to be sure it's a male! I bought a chin at a pet store when I first started, and they told me it was a boy. When I introduced him to the chin I apready had, it was the same...a lot of humping and rough grooming. I found out a few weeks later the second one was a girl!
So, double check!! If all is well and he's a he...I'd say it's a dominance thing. I'm new though also, so I'm no pro.

Are the 9 year old male and the 2 year old female in the same cage? :/ I couldn't tell by what you meant other than that they get a long well.

Honestly, if you don't even have enough room to fit that many cages in there let alone room to quarantine why have so many chins? I understand the need to buy the helpless ones at the pet store but what if you bring one home and the new one is basically carrying the plague to the rest of your pets? In my opinion that isn't really a risk to take. Especially not after hearing or I guess reading some stories on here.

I know I didn't start out exactly great when I got too many chins than I could handle, I'm just going off on how I would handle the situation now. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but why get more animals if you can't quarantine them to ensure the health and safety of those you already own why risk it? Even with a vet's appointment, it could be too late by the time you get to the vet.

Why bother with a vet visit and "bloodwork" for everyone, the damage, if there is any is done, you now just have to hope that chin did not carry any disease since the incubation period for alot of the nasty stuff is a week to 3 weeks.

Latest posts

Back