New Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd93

Well I haven't got a good picture to put up yet but I got this jet black male at a pet store the other day. He seems pretty friendly and I let him out in my room in the evening to get exercise. He isn't to the point that he'll run up and sit on my but he will take raisins out of my hand. He just got an igloo to sleep in today and he already loves it. He scared me last night because he started making sounds at like 2am but I went on the chinchilla sounds site and it sounded like the one that they want something and I bet he wanted to come out of his cage.

I really would like to add a run onto his cage but can someone give me some ideas as to how it should look with pictures or something. I can get metal from Lowes for constructing it but I need an idea as to what it should look like. It doesn't need a tray, I'll just use newspaper. I'm pretty sure it will need a top on it but tell me if it doesn't. He's already in a pet proofed room but it's hard to find him once hes out for a while and a run would make everything simpler.

I don't have the greatest cage for him yet but I'm working on it. The plan is to try to find my degu a new smaller cage and then put this guy in the huge 4 level cage that my degu, Momo, is in. Momo needs a big cage but one as big as that isn't necessary and he only uses half of it regularly. Momo actually gets along pretty good with the chinchilla when I let them out in my pet proofed room. They follow each other around and keep touching noses. I don't really trust them together since Momo is much smaller then a chinchilla but he loves other rodents. I would never leave them out of my sight alone though.

Can anyone give me some good names for him? I've looked on the name sites but I want to hear some actual suggestions.

And also does anyone have a strategy they use for bonding with their Chinchilla?

Well I haven't got a good picture to put up yet but I got this jet black male at a pet store the other day. He seems pretty friendly and I let him out in my room in the evening to get exercise. He isn't to the point that he'll run up and sit on my but he will take raisins out of my hand. He just got an igloo to sleep in today and he already loves it. He scared me last night because he started making sounds at like 2am but I went on the chinchilla sounds site and it sounded like the one that they want something and I bet he wanted to come out of his cage.

I really would like to add a run onto his cage but can someone give me some ideas as to how it should look with pictures or something. I can get metal from Lowes for constructing it but I need an idea as to what it should look like. It doesn't need a tray, I'll just use newspaper. I'm pretty sure it will need a top on it but tell me if it doesn't. He's already in a pet proofed room but it's hard to find him once hes out for a while and a run would make everything simpler.

I don't have the greatest cage for him yet but I'm working on it. The plan is to try to find my degu a new smaller cage and then put this guy in the huge 4 level cage that my degu, Momo, is in. Momo needs a big cage but one as big as that isn't necessary and he only uses half of it regularly. Momo actually gets along pretty good with the chinchilla when I let them out in my pet proofed room. They follow each other around and keep touching noses. I don't really trust them together since Momo is much smaller then a chinchilla but he loves other rodents. I would never leave them out of my sight alone though.

Can anyone give me some good names for him? I've looked on the name sites but I want to hear some actual suggestions.

And also does anyone have a strategy they use for bonding with their Chinchilla?

Hi and welcome to Chins and Hedgies!

Im glad your chin seems comfortable with you. Ditch the raisins (they have tons on sugar in them) and try a pinch of old fashioned oats, a bite sized non frosted shredded wheat or a dried rosehip as a treat. The igloo can be a good hidey house provided he doesn't chew on it (plastic can cause impactions in the gut if they chew on it).

I think by "run" you mean a playpen? You can find them at petstores. You want one that he can't climb out of...I am sure a few people on here could tell you a name brand to look for.

I am not sure about degu and chinchilla interaction...someone with more experience with them will have to come along and add whether or not this is safe...it is dangerous for chins and rabbits to interact because certain types of bacteria can pass between species.

I keep thinking of other names like Momo...Nano keeps coming to me...I had a male kit named Mohan (pronounced Mo-an can't remember what it means..) which sounds pretty good with Momo...I use dog name websites when I get stumped...

Bonding can take time. Sounds like you are off to a good start. Just sitting with your chin during playtime and daily interaction is a good way to bond. Just go slowly and don't expect the moon in the first week :thumbsup:

Where in the world would I find rosehips at? I looked it up and it wasn't what I thought it was. Do you think they'd sell them at a price chopper food store? Can anyone lead me to a list of good fresh foods for the little guys?

Hello and Welcome
Also look at the banners at the top, you will find some on line stores that have chin safe toys and products.

If you go to the chinchilla supplies for sale section, tacked at the top is a suppliers thread. Pretty much anything you need, you can find there.

Back