New Chin Owner, Need help with cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbarile92

Hello!
I have just purchased my very first chins!
I am absolutely in love with them but needs a little help! I bought a ferret cage from Petco when I got them and it was just too much plastic. The cage itself was all metal but all of the shelves and the bottom was plastic. I just returned it and put my chins in a smaller cage that I have until my new all metal cage comes in.
Though, I have been looking at all of the different posts and now I am kind of worries about the cage I bought. The bottom is all wire but it is really thin so I don't think their little paws will get stuck in them. I made them ledges and fleece tubes and all different types of things to put into their cage so they don't always have to be just on the wire bottom.

Any Suggestions?

This is the cage I bought: http://www.petco.com/product/113675...tone Dusted Rose Rat & Chinchilla Cage-113675

Thanks!
Rachel

I would opt for the FN 141 as well. You're going to want as much access for cleaning and the door on the Prevue doesn't look very good for that. The FN 141 is also $30 cheaper! And if you ever decide to get more chinchillas down the road, you can buy the FN 143 add-on that goes on top of the 141.

Considering the OP already bought the cage, I'm not sure they're going to want to go through returning another cage again. Yes, the FN is nice with it's wide opening doors (I think the Chin heavens every time I have to reach to the back of mine to clean), but the cage posted doesn't look too horrible. It IS possible to maintain a cage with small doors- I did it for several years. It was just a pain in the butt, but it was still a pretty good cage.

The wooden ledges and fleece tubes are a good idea. Chillers, pillows, etc. can also help to provide areas to get off the wire. You could even take the wire shelves out and replace them with wooden ones. You can get wood pretty cheap from a home improvement store so it shouldn't be too much of an expense.

I agree with ditching the ramps- chinchilla legs can slip through and there are stories of people finding their chins dangling from a ramp due to a stuck leg.

If you are too worried about the wire bottom, instead of utilizing the pull out pan you could just buy/make a fleece liner and put it over the wire grate at the bottom.

Thanks everyone!
Yeah, I had already purchased the cage that I had posted so this will be my second cage if I brought it back...I will try it out and if it is that much of a pain in the butt I have 30 days or so to return it again!
I couldn't find that FN cage but now that I have the link that will be the next cage I go to!!

Thanks again for all of the help!!

Just take out the ramps and shelves, get some fleece items and some wooden ledges, some lava stuff and toys and you are set to go!

Rachel, I changed the name of this thread since you had a second one with an identical name. In the future it may help you get more answers if you try to create a thread title that is specific to your question, and be less confusing. :))

I have this exact cage for my rats, but I would use it for my chins also. The metal grate comes out, I don't use it except when I am cleaning the tray. The shelves and ladders are solid metal, and very sturdy. The wires are not the sturdiest, but only if you are constantly trying to stick things too big through them is that a problem. After ordering and receiving this cage from petco also, I wish I would have invested in a few for my chins as it is easier to clean than my modified super pet cages.

I would say I would not put the metal grate in, the wires are close together but I could see a little chin paw getting stuck in it still, not small enough. But like I said I don't use it other than when I have to completely clean the tray out. And it is not too awful to put together either, my 9 and 10 year old pretty much did it by themselves.

Why is it bad to return a cage when it is new? There are better Chin cages out for less money.

In the long run the owner will be happier because it is easier to clean.

Thanks everyone!

---Stackie: I realized this after I posted the other thread! Thanks for changing it for me!

Everyones advice is really helpful!! Thanks a lot!! :)

Why is it bad to return a cage when it is new? There are better Chin cages out for less money.

In the long run the owner will be happier because it is easier to clean.

I didn't say it was bad. I said the OP had already returned one cage and may not want to go through the hassle with another cage that could certainly work just fine for a chinchilla.

It is up to the OP what to do, but I was giving her advice should she not want to return the cage.

Well in the long run I ended up getting a Fn 142 cage and this cage. I was going to return the Prevenue Cage but I ended up liking it better than the FN 142 cage. I just think that the FN 142 cage is way too big for me. My house is really small so it took up a lot of space and my two boys only liked the bottom of the cage so the top of the cage was just kind of there.

However, they love the Prevenue Critter Cage. It is actually a big cage and I put down a fleece liner on the metal wired bottom so their little paws won't get stuck! I will put pictures up soon!! :)

Back