New chin owner looking for basic advice

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annamageddon

Hello everyone,

I've been browsing this forum as I just got my first chin! I got a girl. She seems to have been well taken care of from what I know. I attached a picture of the cage she came in. I got her off craigslist from a little girl and her family who had been taking care of her. She had regular access to hay, pellets and her dust bath. Since browsing the forum I've decided I should upgrade her to a ferret nation cage. Is this what most people here recommend? Also should I wait to move her? I don't want to stress her out too much. Further since she was a baby she was alone. Does this mean a buddy is ruled out? I've only been able to attach one photo of the cage when I originally got her. Since then I've lined all the wire with fleece so she doesn't hurt her tootsies. Thank you I'd appreciate any insight :)

Annie

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 68
That is actually a nice cage. If you decide you want a different cage though ferret nations make great cages. Being alone since a baby does not mean she won't get along with others but it may take her longer to learn to get along since she doesn't have the social skills. Just be away that they may not get along and then you will have 2 chins and 2 cages.

Thank you! I'm glad you say that! Would it be best to get a baby for a buddy?

Oh also how do I hold her? I've never picked her up. I've only transported her to the bathroom so I could clean her cage. Should I wait before trying to hold her?:hmm: thanks! :)

Annie

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also get rid of the ramps as soon as possible. They are very dangerous for chins. Can cause a broken leg or worse if they slip through. A FN182 makes a great cage. Many ideas and pictures to see here. Good luck.

This cage is adequate size for 1 chin. Getting a friend for her may work but like others said, she may or may not accept another chin. Chins are fine without buddies, get her a nice wheel, not plastic, and lots of chews and she will be happy. Congrats!

The cage looks pretty good size wise. I wouldn't change it right away. I didn't even change anything in Idgie's cage for awhile. She'll need time to adjust to you and all the noises in your house.

I wouldn't get her a buddy anytime soon. It isn't required if you are going to bond with her and play with her. But it does take time. Be patient.

Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks everybody! I can't take out the ramps because they're attached and built into the cage. Is that a deal breaker? I'm searching craigslist for ferret nations. What wheels do you recommend? I realize I should change it I just didn't wanna disturb her till I get a new one. Surprisingly there's no chew marks on the wheel either and she's had it in her cage for two years. I adopted her with the cage.Thanks for the advice everyone!

Those ramps have small enough mesh that they are fine. I have many cages similar to that. If you want to remove them you can by cutting the c clips.

Latest posts

Back